Mid 60s 75 HP V4

metalriff

Cadet
I just acquired one of these on a mid 60s Lars brand runabout I'm new this so apologize in advance for stupid questions. It run rather well, but a little rough at mid throttle there are 2 high and 2 low speed jetting screws, would anyone know a good starting point for those. Also it has 2 rams near the tilt mount so is this suppose to have trim and tilt? there are no lines or hoses going to those so maybe just shocks?
There is also a tiny problem of the engine flipping right up into the air when you put it into reverse. Thanks for any advise . Todd I'll get some pics up.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Mid 60s 75 HP V4

I hear that motor likes the petrol.... :)
No power tilt and trim.
If it's coming up in reverse, then the reverse lock-down mechanism is faulty.
There is a nifty carb adjustment thread in the "top secret files" thread at the top of this forum by Joe Reeves.
If this motor is new to you, but hasn't been run in a while, you'd be wise to rebuild the carbs and add new fuel lines, and replace at least the water pump impeller and probably the thermostats.
Good luck,
JBJ

metalriff

Cadet

Where would a newb find manual or parts breakdown to check out the reverse lock down mechanism, I think its missing some parts in that area, thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

JBJ, I did not see the High Speed needles on your parts list. That made sense to me as I thought all motors past the late fifties had fixed high speed jets.

Did I miss seeing them? How did you know it was a '65?

metalriff

Cadet

P1020453.jpgI got it running great, now it broke the plastic clip in the control that connects the shifter cable to the shifter handle. My local dealer is clueless , where can I source control parts? Thanks a million!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try Shop.Evinrude.com. May want to look in acces. You must have a very new dlr.

metalriff

Cadet

Thanks !! shop Evinrude.com has nothing for that, I apreciate the tip though.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You have to look when you're on Shop.Evinrude.com. The part # I came up with is 308034. Ask your dlr about that one. Sells for $6.17. There's another one out there for newer style cables but hopefully you won't need that one.

metalriff

Cadet

Thanks man, can you give me the link where you found that on shop evinrude for future reference?

yorab

Ensign

Dan Gano sells a bunch of parts for mid-60's OMCs. You can contact him through ganotech.com. He had nearly every part that I needed to rebuild my 75hp Starflite and his prices are a bit more down-to-earth (where possible) than some of the folks out there.

metalriff

Cadet

P1020474.jpgP1020470.jpgI was mistaken this is a 1965 60hp sportfour.
If anyone has a idea i would be much appreciated, I have 4 small kids standing on the dock with their life jackets on wanting to go out in the boat. Heres my deal, this will run darn near perfect when starting completly cold and will continue to do so until I shut it down. After shutting off it will not refire when the engine is warm. It is not a fuel issue.Glass float bowl is clean and fuel, even a little ether wont make it pop. When cranking if I move the dist advance back and forth I can get it to pop but not enough to keep running. Other wise it has no fire when warm. This has had 3 tanks of fuel run through it so far as well so its not fresh out of the barn lol. Thanks Happy 4th everyone.

yorab

Ensign

A simple check: when the engine is off, but warm, does the choke open fully when you try to restart?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to shop evinrude, click on parts, go to ob accessories, click on 1972 then remote control single mtr. If you play with it a little while you'll find it. For your starting prob. Get an open air gap spark tester at any parts house ( $8.00 or so) and set it for 1/4" open air gap. Check the mtr when it won't start. If no spark you'll have to get into the magneto. Could be points,condenser,coil,rotor or cap. Dam that mtr brings back memories. I'd rather work on one of them than the new E-Tecs.