Stainless outboard mount bolts

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anybody know where I can get fine-thread stainless bolts to mount the outboard to the transom. I can only find course-thread stainless bolts. I find that the course-thread bolts jam very easily and break, even with a hand ratchet.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Stainless outboard mount bolts

Hit them with some teflon spray and it will keep them from locking up, I would think fine thread woudl be even worse since there is more contact between the bolt and nut.

We use the teflon spray at work and run hundreds of bolts a day with few problems.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

1/2" Fine thread SS bolts are fairly common, I would think. Most any decent HW store should have them. Use SS nylon lock nuts with them.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Try a Fastenal near you. If they don't have it, they will order. You also can try Grainger. You can also use brass nuts--they usually don't gall on stainless bolts the way stainless nuts do and are plenty strong for engine mounting.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You want course thread and you want 316 SS alloy. Make sure you use anti-seize on the bolts. Stainless on Stainless galls if you look at them funny.

D

DJ

I bought two today. Coarse thread, with lock nuts. As described above. And, yes, use the anti sieze.

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I only figured fine thread more appropriate because that is what I see used on professionally rigged boats. Also, when I worked on helicopters in the Army, we used fine thread stainless bolts, dry and I don't recall ever having a galling issue. It does look like I can get fine thread stainless from Fastenal, just have to figure out the right size. I will use anti-seize, just in case.

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try a Fastenal near you. If they don't have it, they will order. You also can try Grainger. You can also use brass nuts--they usually don't gall on stainless bolts the way stainless nuts do and are plenty strong for engine mounting.

That's the only style of nut my two local boat dealers sell are the brass nuts. Stainless bolts all day long, but brass nuts only.....at least for engine mounting. Both say it solves a lot of seizing/galling problems.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I am with Motor on this one. I never had any trouble with fine thread SS bolts. Never used anti-sieze on them either.

1/2" fine thread SS bolts are standard for motor mounting. I would think brass nuts would be too soft and cause electrolysis. Maybe those nuts are actually silicon bronze?