69 omc 25hp electronic igntion conversion?

michael0584

Recruit
Does anyone know of a company who sells an electonic igntion conversion kit for a 1969 evinrude 25hp?
Thanks,
Michael

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 69 omc 25hp electronic igntion conversion?

Sierra used to make a kit (18-5101). So did atom industries. I haven't seen any available lately, probably because they are no more reliable than the system they replace. The universal magneto on the 25 hp will perform just fine once it is brought up to snuff. The weak point will be the coils if they are original. They tend to crack after 40 years or so. The points, condensers, coils, wires and spark plugs can be totally replaced for a hundred bucks or so and will be reliable for the next couple of decades.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Conversely, I just converted my '75 Johnson 20hp from the modern ignition back to the magnetos and it runs great! Simpler and cheaper to fix/maintain. And it's the same 22 cubic inch engine as yours. I wouldn't waste my time converting it. It'll cost you close to what the engine is worth!

michael0584

Recruit

I pulled the flywheel off and my coils look good, one is a slightly different color so I guess one has been replaced. It doesn't look like converting would be too expensive as I found the old sierra kit for $45, but it says not for engines with charging. I know right now mine doesn't charge as I checked it, but I don't know if it is supposed to? I also found a few sets of the universal kits for small engines on ebay, and I'm assuming those would also work.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Stick with what you have and it will be cheaper in the long run. Ask yourself, how long has that ignition system been around. Id take it over any of this electronic crap any day.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Stick with what you have and it will be cheaper in the long run. Ask yourself, how long has that ignition system been around. Id take it over any of this electronic crap any day.

My thoughts exactly :)