Carolina skiff

radams

Cadet
What is your guys take on carolina skiffs just picked one up and wanted to see what everyone thinks about them

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Carolina skiff

great boats; I love them and the watermen have taken to them like crazy, which is a good sign.

But with the variety of lengths and hull styles, there are wide differences. What's yours, and where will you be using it?

We use a 19 pretty much as a work boat at a hunt club; first year's model and totally flat bottom. It has a scary slide/grab that you have to know about, the only downside IMO.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

They're great boats. I was looking at their website yesterday, and they've got a much more elaborate lineup of boats than I thought. Now, they're going into deck boats in the near future.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Judging by the # of em on the water down here they're very popular. Done some canvas work on a few and they seem to be purty well made.

The earlier ones are awful flat & square but the hull has gotten more refined over the years. Just saw some new ones at a dealer with a sorta "step lift" cast into the bow. From what I understand they're all now wood free as well.

Not the hull for me thanks- beat you to death in a chop - but that isn't to say it wouldn't be a stable fishing platform. Good luck with it!

radams

Cadet

Its a 1998 21ft center console with the t top. Yes I've experienced the skid I imagine its because of the lightness of it. Over all its treated me well so far it cuts through the water unbelieveably can barely feel any waves. I use it in the hudson river about 50 miles north of nyc

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

mines about a 1996 19'; one of the first years. As basic as it can be. Runs with only a 50. Rated for 10 people.

what motor do you have?

We had a problem with water shooting under the transom lip and against the motor on a turn so I added a wood block to deflect it.

robert graham

Admiral

See lots of crabbers, clammers, oyster guys with them...pretty good utility/work/fishing boat, maybe not so good for rough water.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

See lots of crabbers, clammers, oyster guys with them...pretty good utility/work/fishing boat, maybe not so good for rough water.
Yeah they're real popular with the mullet & crab guys down here. Though some folk do fish the flats with em. I remade a T-top & did some other canvas'n cushion work for a customer over in Cape Haze. Don't remember exactly how long but it was all of 24' even 26? Did/do they make a 26?

Anyway the owner has that boat rigged like you wouldn't believe! T-top with upper station, electronics galore, 18 gazillion rod holders, power pole, bow mounted trolling motor, trim tabs with the built in trolling motors, 150 Suzuki, jack plate etc etc etc.

You'd imagine all that crap might look tacky but surprizingly it seems to go together purty well. Says he catches fish ...?