hydrofoil or trim tabs or both??

SparkieBoat

Captain
I have a seapro SV 1900 2003 model with a 115 yammy 4 stroke. it rides slightly low because of the engine weight. it also throws the front up into the air when taking off and takes 10-12 secs to plane out. it also noses up at mid/low speeds, and porpoises. I can get a hydrofoil for around $50...trim tabs will be about $600..i kinda figured on trying the hydrofoil first then adding trim tabs if needed. any hints or suggestions welcome.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: hydrofoil or trim tabs or both??

Nauticus Smart Tabs. Less than $200. Buy them here. Do NOT put a "fin" or "foil" on any boat. Unless you enjoy wasting money.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I looked at the smart tabs..I was kinda thinking it would be better for me to be able to adjust the tabs, but it would be better to save the money if there is not much difference in performance.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I have a I/O boat, and installed Bennett hydraulic trim tabs on it. It was the best $450 I ever spent.

They make your boat run like 50 hp more, as there is almost no nose rise upon acceleration. You can plane the boat @ 10 mph, and do a slow cruise. When two fat women get on one side, you can level the boat.

I think any full hulled boat (like an I/O) needs them.

QC

Supreme Mariner

+1!!!! ^^^^^^^ I always say all V-hulls should come standard with trim tabs. Helm adjustable greatly preferred as long as you know how to use them. Best tool you will ever buy for your boat, hands down.

frank2222

Cadet

smart tabs work great on my 18'. I was having the same problems

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Classic opportunity for a foil. Don't waste the money for tabs and drill all those holes in the boat until you try a foil first. And don't buy the $50 one that has the biggest ad in the magazine. Buy a set of DoelFins for $39. They came out with it first and they have stood the test of time.

SparkieBoat

Captain

thanks guys...I picked up a SE 300 Hydrofoil from bass pro today $59. I will give it a try. after I sell a couple of boats I have for sale I will get a set of trim tabs. I will post my results.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Couldn't help it . . . :)

SparkieBoat

Captain

I just can not put out $600 right now. I do not think the smart tabs will be satisfactory....I appreciate all of your input. I will post my results

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Your SE 3000 probably isn't the best option (tool), but it may help.

The problem with most foil installs is that people think it's a bolt on and head to the water product...and it's NOT. This is where 90% of the complaints come from, they bolt it on, head to the water, and then it handles funny or they lose top speed. Well of course it will, you just bolted a large devise on your motor that when used incorrectly, or if not needed, will do just that.

A foil should not be dragging in the water at speed when set up correctly, on an outboard you can easily raise it up, on an I/O you just need to live with the possible negative side effects if you like the other things it may do.

A foil is not designed to do what trim tabs do, at least not in the same way. What a foil does is allow you to raise the motor higher and not let it ventilate, that's it, it is not supposed to drag in the water and force the bow down, although they do get used in this way.

What it can do, that is if your boat, motor, prop and type of use can even benefit from one is.

1 Allow you to raise the motor higher and not have the prop ventilate.

2 Less bow rise due the motor being higher up and having less leverage on the boat.

3 higher top speed due to the motor being higher with less gear case in the water.

4 better MPG from less gear case drag from the motor being higher.

5 possible prop change for even better performance.

6 Possibly better handling.

There is also the possibility that there will be no benefit because your combination can?t be helped by a foil.

Possible negatives if you don't do the set up work.

1 Loss of top speed due to the drag of the foil.

2 Odd handling, sometimes even scary due to the foil dragging in the water at speed.

3 Fewer MPG due to the drag of the foil.

mondo

Recruit

I recently installed a hydrofoil, and immediately noticed a difference with my 17 ft I/O bowrider: it planes much faster like instant, mpg is great, definite improvement, no more pourposing ,speed has not been affected, slightly faster if anything. But at higher speeds it will sometimes feel like its jumped on top of the water and leaning heavily portside almost close to capsizing, until I drop the throttle and it plunks back down, so my review is almost completely positive, and take from it what you will, but I want to know if trim tabs would help me, or if their is a cheaper alternative

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Your SE 3000 probably isn't the best option (tool), but it may help.

A foil should not be dragging in the water at speed when set up correctly, on an outboard you can easily raise it up, on an I/O you just need to live with the possible negative side effects if you like the other things it may do.

A foil is not designed to do what trim tabs do, at least not in the same way.

2 Odd handling, sometimes even scary due to the foil dragging in the water at speed.

"But at higher speeds it will sometimes feel like its jumped on top of the water and leaning heavily portside almost close to capsizing, until I drop the throttle and it plunks back down,"

Tabs will most likely perform better.

Last edited by a moderator:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Last edited by QC; Today at 08:07 PM. Reason: fixed quote boxes

Thanks, that's how I tried to do it.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I am sure that the trim tabs would work best...but it sounds like I should keep the foil even after trim tabs are installed to keep motor at max possible height. I have not test run yet, but my expectations are less now after reading your post. I may could get a set of smart tabs next month, if i sell a boat i will get manual trim tabs. money is just real tight right now..I have to save up even to go fishing right now with these stupid high gas prices

Daleg70

Seaman

my take -- and I personally agree with QC ---

foils work sometimes, when set up correctly, proper boat/drive/ expectations -- but they are CHEAP (they worked on an older deep V I had)
smart tabs -- I have not personally used them, but some report good results.
real trim tabs --- LOVE THEM --- Use them all the time. More money but worth it. (When I replaced that foil with real trim tabs on the older deep V I regretted not doing it ten years sooner.) I have REAL tabs on my current boat.