Painting a 16 foot Jon Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primitive Pete

Seaman Apprentice
I am just starting the process of painting a 16 foot aluminium Jon Boat. Here is what I think I know:

1. Degrease and sand with 180 grit sandpaper. Not necessary to remove ALL factory paint as long as all surface is clean and sanded.
2. Prime with NAPA self etching primer OR Galv-Alum primer.
3. Paint with automotive OR marine paint.
4. Clear coat.

Apply 2 coats of primer, paint and clear coat. Can apply with roller but spray for a better finish. Have an old compressor that delivers 6.4 SCFM @ 40 PSI. Have thought of getting a good airless HVLP spraygun in the $150 range that can use unthinned oil based paint.

Questions: What to use for a degreaser and need advice on what primer, paint and clear coat to use. If spraying will produce a much better paint job, what paint gun will work with my compressor, bottom feed or gravity feed? Will an HVLP paint gun work with my compressor? I know there are $50 paint guns out there but are they worth it?

Any thoughts on using an airless paint gun?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting a 16 foot Jon Boat

Welcome to iBoats!

You're on the right track, Kinda! Your compressor will NOT handle any HVLP gun that I am aware of. Most require from 10 to 25 CFM. Your prep is correct. I like to wash it with TSP (get it at Lowe's) and then rinse with 50/50 White Vinegar and Water. You can roll the paint or Spray. I personally prefer Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Acrylic Enamel and add Valspar Hardener. My formula is 1qt paint, 1 1/2 cups acetone for thinning for spraying, 1/2 cup if rolling, and 2 oz of Hardener. This will yield Great results. Paint will dry and be ready for next coat in 3-4 hours. Totally cured in 72 hours. Very shiny and durable finish. You can buy the white and then use regular Acrylic Enamel Oil Paint from any Artist supply to Tint it to any color in the Rainbow.

Primitive Pete

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you. I too think I am on the right track, but the devil is in the details. Will follow your formula for painting. Any thoughts on using the NAPA self etching primer OR the Galv-Alum primer. I do not know anything about etching. Wondering if an all-in-one product like the NAPA self etching primer will really work. In my experience, most all-in-one products do not work as well doing each step with a product designed to do only one thing. If I go with the Galv-Alum, what should I use to etch the boat, Muratic acid?

Forgot to mention that the boat will be in fresh water 6 months a year. Does the bottom need anti-fouling paint?

I have since learned my compressor at 6.4 SCFM @ 40 PSI will not handle an HVLP paint gun. Was also told the cheap guns at Harbour Freight will work fine. Just need to get a gun that will work at 6.4 SCFM. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

Primitive Pete

Seaman Apprentice
Painting bottom and gunnels at the same time

Painting bottom and gunnels at the same time

Getting ready to paint an aluminium Jon Boat. My question here is how to position my boat so the bottom, sides and the gunnels can be painted at the same time. Pretty much set on how to prime and paint it.

Flipping the boat over and painting the bottom and sides is no problem. How do I paint the gunnels? Should I support the boat so it is not resting on the gunnels and paint from underneath? Or do I need to paint the bottom and sides, flip the boat over, tape off the sides then paint the gunnels? Maybe I should paint the gunnels first, then flip it and paint the bottom. What have you guys found to be the best way to paint a small boat?

Forgot to mention that the boat will be in fresh water 6 months a year. Does the bottom need anti-fouling paint?

This is a heavy 16 foot Polar Kraft Jon Boat. Only want to flip it once. Am carpeting the entire interior of the boat so only need to paint the gunnels.

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting bottom and gunnels at the same time

Re: Painting bottom and gunnels at the same time

Getting ready to paint an aluminium Jon Boat. My question here is how to position my boat so the bottom, sides and the gunnels can be painted at the same time. Pretty much set on how to prime and paint it.

Flipping the boat over and painting the bottom and sides is no problem. How do I paint the gunnels? Should I support the boat so it is not resting on the gunnels and paint from underneath? Or do I need to paint the bottom and sides, flip the boat over, tape off the sides then paint the gunnels? Maybe I should paint the gunnels first, then flip it and paint the bottom. What have you guys found to be the best way to paint a small boat?

This is a heavy 16 foot Polar Kraft Jon Boat. Only want to flip it once. Am carpeting the entire interior of the boat so only need to paint the gunnels.

Thanks

This should help...Or confuse you more!
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=457159
Seriously, IF you sand it, TSP it, V&W rinse it, and then use a good quality Self etching primer, you should be fine, Personally I think Rustoleum's self etching primer is pretty darn good and it's ingredients are top of the line.

I'd paint the Gunwales LAST. Painting on your back is NOT fun. If you use the hardener it'll be ready to flip in 3 days. Set the boat on carpeted padded saw horses and you should have no problems when coming time to paint the gunwales. Tape and plasticize em and shoot the paint.

No need for that NASTY anti fouling paint.

esc2820

Recruit

If i were you I would personally buy this.....http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=326055-89183-HV3900USG&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3142759&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1 I own 2 Montessori Schools and I build all the tables and shelves for the schools out of cabinet grade plywood. I used to poly the shelves by hand and could do about 2 an hour.....I bought a spray gun to use with my compressor......what a waste.....over half the paint you shoot goes out into the air (better plastic off your whole garage), but with the Graco HVLP sprayer there is very minimal overspray and it does a wonderful job, I can do up to 12 an hour with the Graco HVLP sprayer, they have a cheaper model that does not come with the backpack paint holder, I plan on also using the HVLP sprayer for painting my house, that is why I got the backpack, if you are just going to use it for small jobs, you could probably get the entire bottom section of the boat done with one fill on the gun tank. Make sure you clean it up well (not hard at all) also I do not thin out my polyurethane at all, so maybe you want to practice shoot a few items, oh and no worries about turning your garage into a paint booth, the overspray is literally that minimal. Just keep other vehicles out and put a drop cloth down on the floor underneath. Great investment, and you are not messing up your compressor.

fishrdan

Admiral

Edit: AH CARP, 3 month old thread........................

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Please re-read the forum rules. TY Closed

15. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. This is a very active forum and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.