Prop help for a 1995 volvo penta sx

wrestler

Recruit
My prop will engage in forward (locks up turning left an will turn going to the right) but in reverse it will not engage so it spins both directions. Plus it seems like my prop is a little stiff spinning in neutral. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

wrestler

Recruit
Re: Prop help for a 1995 volvo penta sx

Also when I put my boat in the water an put it in forward or reverse the rpms rev up but the prop never turns, its like im stuck in neutral.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you have a spun hub my friend...replace the prop or have it rehubbed at your local prop shop

wrestler

Recruit

I held the nut that holds the prop down an tried to spin the prop but they spin together, I have a two piece prop. I had a guy at the marina say that i may have messed a gear up in the upper unit of my outdrive. Does that sound right? I adjusted the shift cable under the cover on my unit, should I do the same behind my shifter in the boat?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look behind the engine around where the shaft goes into the coupler. Do you see any metal savings? If not, start the engine, and again look back there. Is the shaft going into the outdrive turning?