1988 force 85hp. which carbs do i have ? i have serial #

hypersniper

Banned
new to forums here and somewhat new to boats. just bought a 88 bayliner capri with a 88 force 85hp outboard. boat had been sitting for a year prior to me buying it so i drained the fuel tank and added new 50:1 mix as stated in the owners manual. did a once over on the motor, pulled the plugs and there was a mouse nest in the center plug hole packed solid. so i vacuumed it out and blew it out and got everything out of it. dripped some gas in all 3 plug holes and she fired right up but ran rough, tried to adjust the carbs as stated in the manual with no luck. so i pulled carbs and cleaned them in and out. bowls has a minimal amount of sludge in them.

put everything back together and noticed the carbs were leaking fuel out the side which i assume would be the air intake side. took them back off and apart again and blasted the needle seat with wd40 and blew them out with an air compressor. reinstalled and same thing, leaking fuel. well seeing as im gonna pull them again and adjust the floats i wanna replace the needle and seats while i have them apart. i also pulled out all the cruddy decaying sound proofing foam and will replace it at a later date so not to get crap in my nice clean carbs.

could someone tell me what needle and seats to get please. the serial number on the motor is 856X8B.
sorry this is so long winded...

hypersniper

Banned
Re: 1988 force 85hp. which carbs do i have ? i have serial #

ok i took carbs off and did the blow through test and all 3 needle and seats seemed fine. floats were wayyyyyy out of adjustment, not even close to hanging level when inverted, i mean they were almost touchin the carb they were hangin so low. surprised this thing even ran. turned all screws in to light seat and backed out 1 1/4 turns and now just have to do some fine tuning on it. also gonna do the sync and timing from the sticky and hopefully this thing will run like new again.