Measuring transome angle

rjrobin2002

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I built a 18' aluminum boat and built my transom angle to 15 degrees I thought. When I took it for its first test drive, I did not have enough down trim to keep the boat from bouncing as if my transom angle was not even close to 15 degrees. I set my angle by putting my angle finder on the bottom of the boat and setting the boat bottom at 0 degree. I then put my angle finder on the transom and tack welded it when the transom read 15 degrees. What did I do wrong?

Attachments

• transom complete 002.jpg
    transom complete 002.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • transom complete 003.jpg
    transom complete 003.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Measuring transome angle

I would say you did not put any hook in the hull. Right at the end of the{ hull stern end } there should be a concave form from side to side, just a 1/8" depression should do it.

rjrobin2002

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ordered some transom wedges from Bobs Machine Shop that will give me 5 more degrees. I still am not sure if an angle finder is the right way to measure the transom though.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Woody is right, normally the bottom plate is run an inch past the edge of the transom. You can bend that as need to provide hook. Bob's wedges work pretty well let us know how they work for you. You might consider a set of Bennet trim tabs.