Shifting Problems

rochelle1126

Recruit
I have a 1989 searay cuddy cabin. When I have it out of the water and hook up the hose and run the motor, the shifting is fine, but when i launch the boat and have it in the water it is very hard to shift between gears. Any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Shifting Problems

I have a 1989 searay cuddy cabin. When I have it out of the water and hook up the hose and run the motor, the shifting is fine, but when i launch the boat and have it in the water it is very hard to shift between gears. Any ideas?

Ayuh,... I'd guess the Lower shift Cable, +/ or the shift switch is boogered up...

jersigsel22

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like were in the same boat, NPI, I have the same issues. on the hose its fine but in the water theres about a 10 to 20 second delay into forward. reverse is instant. ive been reading alot of these posts and it looks like these guys are very smart when it comes to boating. im about to make my first post. Best of luck to you, I know how frustrating this stuff can be.
As far as your issue, how is it Hard? physicaly hard or will the drive just not make up its mind? what kind of drive? Alpha,Bravo? Theres some older posts i remember looking at that might shed some light on your situation. Anyways best of luck to you.

rochelle1126

Recruit

It is physicaly hard. You have to move back and forth and some times it goes into position on the controll but takes a few second to come out of gear. Yes these guy are very helpful, Sorry, it's an Alpha 1.

jersigsel22

Seaman Apprentice

Not real familiar with Alpha setups but this might help you narrow it down. remove the lower shift cable from the bracket it mounts to on top of the engine then move the shift/throttle lever around, If its not hard any more you know the issue is beyond that(lower shift cable)or beyond. Like i said Alphas are foreign to me. wish i could help ya more.