Is a big inflatable right for me? Input/Advice please :)

p12

Seaman Apprentice
Experience matters, and I have none with big SIBs.

I think I want a big SIB as opposed to a smaller 15-17' runabout or center console. I will be boating on calm days in the FL Gulf/Tampa Bay area doing some beach hopping and exploring with the family (myself, wife, 2 year old and 4 year old). I am currently looking at the 15' Saturn, would be running a 30-40 hp tiller and would keep it on a trailer. I expect I would have it set up family friendly with a bimini, cushioned bow, a 2-3 seats bolted to the hard floor.

My boating experience is a 17' runabout, a 20' cuddy cabin and a 32' cruiser. Currently I have no boat but am hoping to also get a 24-28' sport boat in the next couple of years in addition to the inflatable. Some of the reasons I like the idea.

-I think if it's easier to launch, tow, deal with, I will use it more.
-I like that with wheels on the transom, I will be able to launch from non traditional boat ramps (causeways).
-My wife likes how close we would be to the water (she want's a kayak, I don't and we have the kids).
-It seems that it would be easier to launch/man handle then a hard sided boat be it loading/unloading or beaching.
-I like the idea that I can fold it up in the corner if I'm not using it in the winter, or if I want to take it with me in the motorhome
-I like that it's light weight and I can tow it with a sports car.

My concerns are:

-The cost!!!!!!! I figure I'll be at $7-8k by the time I get the boat/trailer/engine. I can find a used fiberglass boat for a good bit less than that, but think I'd have to buy new to get what I want in an big SIB with a bigger short shaft engine.
-Even on calm days, how wet are they?
-Space, will I miss it?

Thanks for any input :D

Cheers,
Mike
Palm Harbor, FL

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Is a big inflatable right for me? Input/Advice please :)

Why do you want a Saturn, that is made out of PVC, for use in Florida?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The 14" & 15" Saturn are ideal for your family boating needs, are well contructed Korean pvc sibs, has wide tubes, nice alum floor, can add trim tabs, go for a 30 HP 2 strokes engine if available, 40 is too much and heavy for 1 man work. They are very dry. Get a trailer and leave permanently inflated on top if counting with proper home space to do so, will use it more than inflating/deflating each time. If that sib won't live or be left at sunnny environments, pvc is the best price option. Sibs are more stable than any fiberglass traditional model, need less HP engines to perform excellent.

Happy Boating

RickVS

Cadet

So if you're going to leave your SIB parked in the backyard, what alternatives are there to PVC? Does the sun break down PVC rather quickly or will it take years to notice? Thanks.

p12

Seaman Apprentice

Why do you want a Saturn, that is made out of PVC, for use in Florida?

Seems like a decent price bigger SIB with decent feedback. How much is a comparable Hypalon? It would be out of the sun for the majority of the time.

The 14" & 15" Saturn are ideal for your family boating needs, are well contructed Korean pvc sibs, has wide tubes, nice alum floor, can add trim tabs, go for a 30 HP 2 strokes engine if available, 40 is too much and heavy for 1 man work. They are very dry. Get a trailer and leave permanently inflated on top if counting with proper home space to do so, will use it more than inflating/deflating each time. If that sib won't live or be left at sunnny environments, pvc is the best price option. Sibs are more stable than any fiberglass traditional model, need less HP engines to perform excellent.

Happy Boating

Thanks for the the feedback. A 30hp short shaft is much easier to find and cheaper as well. Any recommendations on tabs? I seem to remember seeing some sort of passive tab a few years ago (haven't looked lately).

My deed restricted neighborhood means it will live inflated on the trailer in the garage.

p12

Seaman Apprentice

My understanding is that if you're going to keep the SIB in the backyard and want the lower price point of PVC, then keep it covered (keep the UV off of it).

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Hypalon stands more sun aggression than pvc fabrics, but can cost more than double, to be near even, can find on the market 303 Aersopace fabric protectant, check Iboats, West Marine, Defender, can coat once each month use, will protect well against UV sun issues, if sib will remain at a shaded outside area or garage, much better. Depending on your world location, sun does not affect inflatables equally, on tropics lasts less, because having worst UV issues, but takes it's years to happen.

Go for a Tohatsu 30 HP actual model 2 strokes engine if market available, it's size and weight is same as it's restricted 25 HP younger brother. Won't need trim tabs if you distribute crew weight correctly inside sib. Personally would go for the 14" model and 30 HP engine for a 4 crew boating family :D

Happy Boating

p12

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Sea Rider!

Can you tell me why you'd go with the 14' versus the 15'? Seems like the extra interior space (especially with the kids!) would be a plus more than the few extra pounds of weight and length are detriments.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Both models have same interior width, tube diam, N? of chambers, pvc fabric gauge. the difference is only 1" more in lenght. Usually you buy a inflatable size according to the number of people you will go out boating with, for 4 a 380 size will do the job, if taking extra gear along, a 430 (14") will suit you needs and perform excellent with a 30 HP. It's not price, extra lenght space, few extra pounds related issues, it's all about 1 man manipulation, the monster size once completely inflated :D the larger, the bulkier...

Happy Boating

paulpost

Banned

Hi, I don't know if you've noticed the Saturn 14' doesn't come with benches nor the attachments for them so unless you want to install permanent seats you'll have to go for the 15' or 13'.
I hope it helps
Paul

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

So if you're going to leave your SIB parked in the backyard, what alternatives are there to PVC? Does the sun break down PVC rather quickly or will it take years to notice? Thanks.

PVC lasts anywhere form seven to nine years here before you toss them into a dumpster. What people fail to understand is that it does not matter if the boat is left exposed to the sun or not. The initial UV exposure starts the degradation of the material and that signs it's death warrant. Spraying the boat with sunscreen or keeping it in a cool dark place may give you an extra year or two, but PVC is still a marginal choice compared with the 20 to 30 year service life of a Hypalon boat. So, if you look at the cost of the PVC boat, it's service life and the price...And you think that is a good choice for you, then it is and that is what you should buy.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Hi, I don't know if you've noticed the Saturn 14' doesn't come with benches nor the attachments for them so unless you want to install permanent seats you'll have to go for the 15' or 13'.
I hope it helps
Paul

Although the 14" sib pics don't show lateral seats their tech "features" states :

Free second bench is included when order is placed on-line!
Equipment: T-paddles, repair kit, seat bench and carry bag.

A matter to ask before buying to have it clear...

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Who wants to have/own a pvc or hypalon sib/rib for that long time period, will receive peanuts when you want to sell them so used and abussed, you should sell them at ther 50% expected lifespan and get a good resell value, put the $ difference and buy new, don't you guys change cars every 2-3 years, so, why don't do it periodically with inflatable boats ? Nothing is eternal...just time!!

Hypalon does not stand more than 20 years use in impecable conditions, will need to begin regluing floor fabric, seams, d'rings, etc, besides most Hypalon "recreational" inflatables uses thin 0.8-0.9 mm fabrics. There's the misconception that hypalon is a solid fabric, it's just the external thin layer sandwiched with nylon or polyester middle core and a neoprene inner layer for air tightness. If you have a yacht, sailboat and need a inflatable that will be constantly exposed to sun buy hyapalon, If just recreational, buy whatever material seems is right to you and budget will allow...

Happy Boating

Syzygy

Seaman Apprentice

I received a Defender 380 about a month ago and I love it. It is commercial grade 1670 Dtex Hypalon fabric, 1.05mm thickness (it is Achilles T15 fabric, 1500 grams/sq meter). I have been nothing short of impressed with the quality and performance and I paid only $2,943.00 for it.

I looked at boats in the 12'6" range from Achilles and a bunch of PVC boats (glued seam, not welded). In the end, I decided that this was the way to go and have no regrets.

one Happy Camper

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

As all hypalon gauge fabrics life span are placed on same sac, some examples of thin hypalon fabric that states the contrary. This nautica sib has near 10 years constantly exposed to coastal environments, we don't have excesive UV radiation as in the equator nor extreme summer heat as we are coastal refreshed by the Humbold Current.

The external hypalon coating which is extreme thin has already delaminated time ago in many rib tube areas, must take inflator along to pump while crusing, a real pain at your rear bottom's back, needs inmediate re tubbing but with thicker fabric, lousy standard factory is just 0.8 mm fabric.

Bottom line, pvc & hypalon fabric life span will depend on where the boat is kept/live (outside, inside environments) and fabric cared, those long life 20-30 year expected life span hypalon fabrics previously stated as near rule are found only on large Zodiac 430/470 and up size to mention a brand, extreme costly very thick professional hypalon boats as the military or commercial use, the cost starts 10 grand and up.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• P1160238.JPG
    P1160238.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1160240.JPG
    P1160240.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1160239.JPG
    P1160239.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 0

paulpost

Banned

If you can afford it go for , but when you work with a limited budget with $3000 one can buy a brand new Saturn and have money left for a very good used outboard.
As for the dispute between hypalon vs PVC I remember that a few years ago on this forum somebody posted pictures of a 20 years old PVC inflatable still holding air and used for 2 weeks I think every summer .
Paul

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,

My two cents. Both materials are good. Hypalon has a lot of great features and also a few negative ones. Hypalon cannot be welded and must be glued and therefore longevity is limited by the gluing process. PVC especially the newer ones that are made specifically for boats in Germany by Mehler are really good. If they are treated and protected from the Sun they last a long time and work well. Bottom line an inflatable will wind up being more expensive to own but will have advantages in terms of weight and cost to run and storage.

PVC when cared for properly will last well but will not outlast a rigid boat.

D.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If you can afford it go for , but when you work with a limited budget with $3000 one can buy a brand new Saturn and have money left for a very good used outboard.
As for the dispute between hypalon vs PVC I remember that a few years ago on this forum somebody posted pictures of a 20 years old PVC inflatable still holding air and used for 2 weeks I think every summer .
Paul

You can buy a large Saturn sib for 1/2 that price, put one more grand and go for at least a 15 HP 4 strokes new engine, have a pvc Quiksilver 330 model bought in 1998, used all year regularly well inflated and cared for, kept sun shaded, well rinsed after use in impeccable fabric, seams, floor fabric mint conditions, so 20 year longevity is quite possible. Thin hypalon too will not outlast a rigid boat :mad: It's not a pvc vs hypalon dsipute, it's all related to where the boat will live, used for and the fabric gauge used to talk about longevity.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Paul

Sure they do. But most PVC fabric boats don't and that is the point. The further north you go the longer the average life of PVC. I've got customers in Canada and Alaska that have had PVC boats last over 15 years...They are freaks of nature:) Regardless, why buy a Saturn when you can buy another PVC fabric boat, for about the same money, that actually has warranty stations around the U.S.?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

TG palinly agree on world's location, don't know if same going extreme south the equator, but definitely on or near the equator as in Virgin Islands, pvc & hypalon don't last as expected, to much UV radiation which degrades the fabric sooner. Knowing you are not a big fan of Saturn inflatables which are not Chinese made, but rather Korean made, what pvc brand would you recommend.

A new sib/rib won't give you trouble for some years, so having not that amount of service stations in all US states is not a big issue, you guys have a tremendous and cheap road transportation facilities, so why worry that much ? This is not a free propganda, was very eskeptical about Saturn, but happens that a cousin owns a 14" footer with a 25 HP engine, must say rides very well, it's very well built, with nice alum floor pannels and at a affordable price compared to other more reputed brands.

Happy Boating