Reassembly/Installation of Alpha 1 lower and upper unit

Greytfun

Cadet
Help! Forgot to put drive in FWD when I removed the lower unit. Then put drive in FWD prior to removing and servicing the upper unit. Having trouble re-installing both now.
1. What is the easiest way to install the upper unit (sans lower unit)?
1a. The darned rubber gasket on gear housing keeps falling off and jamming too.
2. What do I need to do to reinstall the lower unit (once upper unit is installed)?
3. Is it easier to install lower unit to upper while on bench, then install whole unit?

Time to build that OD stand I've been wanting to do for so long. My back is killing me trying to put this back together.

Thanks for any help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Reassembly/Installation of Alpha 1 lower and upper unit

1. What is the easiest way to install the upper unit (sans lower unit)?
Put the outdrive back together and pressure check it before putting it back on the boat. Then you know everything will be ok.

1a. The darned rubber gasket on gear housing keeps falling off and jamming too.
Glue it in place, I use bellows adhesive because it's handy. Contact cement will work.

Before you do anything, download and read the OEM service manual on installing the drive. Here is a link to download the manual for free.
http://www.4shared.com/document/zz_5pj9o/Service_Manual_06.html

Greytfun

Cadet

Thanks for the response (late post, my apology). I ended up building a stand that allowed for much easier mating. The stand took 1hr with pieces of wood laying around. It made all the difference and now I have a decent stand to use when working on the whole drive.

floater180

Seaman Apprentice

If you have someone to help you lift the whole unit then go for it. I only had a 10 year old to help out so I had to put the upper unit first and then install the lower. Be sure you ahve the prop on so you can turn it counter clockwise a little at a time to line up the gears. You should alse be able to see from the bottom front on how the shifter lines up. Good luck