Question on boat value...T.D. Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

psdan000

Recruit
My neighbor is selling a fishing boat and I have quite a bit of interest in buying it. The boat is a 93 I believe 17' center console. It has a Johnson 88hp outboard motor. It is in pretty decent shape but needs some minor things. I can tell the boat has sat outside in the sun for a bit. The motor runs great. I tried doing some research on the boat itself but couldnt find much information. Any help on what the value of this boat might be would be great. Thanks

Dan

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Question on boat value...T.D. Penny

if you are seriously considering any boat- poke around the bilge & transom with a screw driver looking for rotten spots--they are rotten if not confirmed to be solid. if solid do a simple compression test-- pull the 4 plugs -attach compression gauge & turn over each cylinder- they should be all the same.
check the deck -storage compartments for soft spots--
is the deck(floor) solid-?
is the interior in decent shape?
is the trailer good?

if everything seems ok go for a 1hr ride( pay for gas) and see if you are satisfied with the preformance.

if it is not satisfactiorty walk away & look for a good one
Dan- tell us the mfg & model & year

psdan000

Recruit

Thanks for the input. I am a novice when it comes to boats so the input is appreciated. My neighbor knows a lot more than I do and he seems to think it is a pretty solid boat. The manufacturer of the boat is a company called T.D. Penny, and I cannot find much out about them. What it boils down to is I will have about $3000 tied up in the boat if I decide to buy it. Just trying to make sure it is worth it. The transom and bilge appear to be in excellent condition.

psdan000

Recruit

Well I worked out a trade with him and it turns out I will get the boat and motor and have only about $2000 tied up in it. I feel like it's a pretty good deal. I will post some pics when I get it. Thanks for the input guys

jackrabbit66

Seaman
No Title

I also Have a boat built from T.D Penny company. I've had my boat for 4 years now and I love it. I did have to replace the deck though. I did the work myself, it ended up costing about $500 and a lot of time and effort though. When I took off the deck the foam was good, aluminum fuel tank in good shape, and the Stringers were glassed well and had no rot.

I would recommend anyone looking to buy a boat from this company to look inside the hatches and check the floor for soft spots. If its solid I would say the deck is probably good. If its soft and spongy....You might need a new deck. On my boat the exposed part of the deck was done very well with 1/8" glass, they went cheap inside the hatches and only put a thin layer of glass 1/32 which will crack and eventually lets moisture in. The material the deck is made of is cheap OSB instead of a good marine plywood. The water gets under the fiberglass and eventually spreads to the whole deck because its completely laminated and has nowhere to go. The OSB absorbed the water like a sponge.

1st. photo- a close up of the deck material / OSB

2nd photo - the entire deck was soggy and could have been removed with a spoon... It only felt like a few soft spots

Attachments

• photo222308.jpg
    photo222308.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo262047.jpg
    photo262047.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.