ID'ing OMC outdrives

mereed

Cadet
Can anyone recommend a site for looking up serial and model #'s?
I've found some that don't have the numbers I found,need more complete listings.
I found a guy with tons of old boats/parts,and am looking for a compatible outdrive for my '77 OMC 190 hp unit.(I know,you guys all seem to hate these...but when I found the boat it was 20 yrs old with 34 hrs on it!It still has less than 400).
Found three likely prospects,one rated at 225 hp,but it has different steering hookup.Two at 150 hp,not sure I should go down in power rating.
I believe the slipping/loss of power issue is in lower unit,but much easier to bolt on complete outdrive.
Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: ID'ing OMC outdrives

Why don't you describe your problem. Maybe someone can help you with what you have. If its a slipping issue, you sure you have full voltage to your shift coil?

mereed

Cadet

Inconsistant voltage in both forward and reverse,have checked prop for spun hub,will idle through the water,but as soon as throttle applied,just slips.(Both F and R).
Novice driver accidently put her into reverse while going about 20 mph.It seemed to lose torque slowly till it would only move at a crawl.
Is it possible it could be only electrical and not mechanical?
After talking to several mechanics,have pretty much narrowed it down to the lower unit.
Like I said,have located a guy with several units that may be compatible,and am trying to research before hooking one up.
Long term,I'll probably rebuild this one as necesary.
Just love the ol' electric shift...
Any one with similar experience?
Any insight appreciated,especially where/how to lookup numbers!
BTW,mine is M#990232G,S#W565579.

mereed

Cadet

My apologies for original post not being clear enough.
#979686,225hp stamped on round button near top of one complete outdrive I have access to.
#381727,150hp on another.
The badge with factory info missing on both.
Can anyone tell me specs on these?Now I suspect these are not actual model or serial numbers.
Again,any info appreciated!

southkogs

Staff member

Take a look at these two links: http://www.sterndrive.com/details.cfm?productid=510, http://hhscott.com/evinrude/omc_stringer.htm

I can't find those numbers on any of the outdrives, so I'm not sure if it'll be of any help. I could identify the 990 number in your first post being your V8, but I can't ID those other two.

I've got a 165 Electric shift (I'm one of the sick-o's who likes them too) that I'm learning about ... slowly. I was fortunate to find an "organ donor" on Craigslist here in TN (not only was it a 165 OMC, but off the same exact boat ... score!) and I've got a drive I'm going to rebuild as a spare this year. I was incredibly fortunate in that way.

If I'm following right, the 150 would be off a mid-60's model with a Buick/Jeep V6. The 225's look to have been early to mid 70's strapped to Chevy 307 V8's.

If the 225 has the steering hookup on the exhaust housing it's likely an earlier model (that's how mine is - my steering cable passes through the transom). I'm 90% sure your upper gear case will connect up to the lower unit of that 225 though if you need the True Course steering connection. Disconnecting the upper gearcase from the lower is easy on that drive.

Hopefully someone can confirm the connection of that 225 lower with your current upper.

mereed

Cadet

Thanks,now I see that the numbers I was trying to look up are not the right ones.

Also back to square one on diagnosis.

Starting over:Engine fine,propels boat in idle only.As soon as rpm applied,it slips in both forward and reverse.Did standing prop test,can turn motor over with prop,(not running,ingition on,in gear.)Prop looks good,no indication of spun hub.
Was getting inconsistant meter readings on forward and reverse wires,used jumper wire from battery,got slipping results again.
Now with unit off boat,with ground connected,12 volts applied,get proper click and engagement in both forward and reverse.Since boat's not in water,can't do proper torque test,but it feels locked in gear properly.
So,can the clutches be engaging but loosing grip at higher rpm?If the springs are broken,would they even grip at all?
Can the electromagnets lose engagement at rpm?

Thanks all,maybe I'm overthinking this,and it's just time to tear it down!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Did standing prop test,can turn motor over with prop,(not running,ingition on,in gear.)
You shouldn't do this. If motor starts, your body is right there. I am actually very surprised you can turn your engine over this way anyway.

How is the ground at your stern drive? You have a grounding cable betwwen the the drive and the intermediate housing right?

Shifting it into reverse going 20 was not a good thing.

southkogs

Staff member

Mine started doing a similar thing this year - except instead of slipping, it just slams to a halt. I was doing similar tests to what you're doing and ultimately got stumped. I've got a mechanic looking at it right now before I go tearing into a lower unit (that I know little to nothing about). I have to travel this week and next, so I'm giving him a bunch of time to look at it and get back with me.

As soon as someone figures mine out, I'll check back and see if you figured yours out. Maybe one of us will come up with an answer!

mereed

Cadet

No kidding,Bruce.Haven't seen her since...
Ground is secure.
What next,re-check all eletrical?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would recheck all electrical. Make sure you have a solid 12V at the wires entering the drive. Make sure you measure this with your ground lead from your meter at the drive itself. You need ful voltage here.

What have you done to determine it is not a spun prop? Have you marked the prop body and the hub to make sure they stay in realtionship with each other?

mereed

Cadet

Besides being able to turn the motor over with the prop,(I pulled the coil wire),I've had two mechanics tell me it's fine.No evidence of rubber disintegration,nor can I turn it on the hub.But you're right,I didn't mark it and re-check...I will go over everything again.Thanks for all comments.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There is way more torque when you are in the water trying to turn the prop at 3000RPM getting up on plane than turning it by hand or foot on land.