89 johnson 9.9 water problem / Lower unit removal

dleamon1

Cadet
:DI was on the water yesterday and when first started up there was no water coming out of the tell tale. It was running for maybe a minute before shutting it down. I restarted and the water came spurting out fine. But the left water jacket started getting very hot but the right side seemed to stay cool to the touch(the tell tale I believe is connected to the right jacket so I believe the tell tale is only telling you the water is making it into the right jacket, is this correct?) I took it home and removed the left jacket, the head, and the thermostat to check for blockages and to see if the thermostat was frozen shut, it is very hard to move the thermostat but I believe the thermostat is suppose to be this stiff. I didn't remove the right jacket because it requires removing the whole powerhead but I will if I have to. I replaced the jacket and head and ran the motor without the thermostat for a few seconds to see if the water was making it through the block to the head but no water came out and the was no flow from the tell tale. Would I be right in thinking this could only be a blockage in the water in tube or in the right jacket or could the impeller be shot?

Rick.

Captain
Re: 89 johnson 9.9 water problem / Lower unit removal

I would think it could be your impeller but often times it is that the leg isn't submerged deep enough in water causing the pump to suck air with water which stops it from doing it's job. Im unclear what you are referring to as your left/right side water jacket. Perhaps look up the parts description and use the correct names and it will help. Best of luck. Rick.
http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Public/BRP_Public_Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Index.aspx

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The left side (Port) is only a bypass cover for the fuel to the cylinder & no water near it.

Like Ric said be sure the lower unit is deep enough in water for the water pump to be submerged.

The water pump impeller would be the first thing I would look at & while there be sure to check the water pump outlet tube grommet that is it not folded over.

If that still doesn't cure the problem it may be a folded over upper water tube grommet either inlet or outlet, but to get to these the powerhead needs to come off.

dleamon1

Cadet

Thanks, that definitely makes a lot of sense, its my first outboard and I've used it twice so I'm trying to learn about it. So the fuel comes in on the right and through the crank and up into the cylinders from the left side? And I believe the exhaust also exits through the same holes but the reeds are closed on the exhaust stroke so I guess that it would be normal for the port side to be too hot to touch? I probably didn't have the intakes deep enough in the water in my barrell which explains why there was no water from the tell tale. If this is the case there might not actually be anything wrong