I am getting fiber optic to my home!!!

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
The local telephone rep stopped by to tell me we will be the first area to get fiber optic to the home as part of the President's push to upgrade rural areas. Should be installed and running by the end of July! Originally the telco was going to upgrade the existing system but decided to go all in with the best tech available.

They are saying average speed will be around 50 meg a second and are guarranting 30 meg a second. I can hardly wait! To go along with it, the telco is offering TV packages that are quite a bit lower than my Direct TV fee. I will be THRILLED to say goodbye to Direct TV!!!

The best part? My city dwelling friends will be green with envy!!! :D :D :D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: I am getting fiber optic to my home!!!

Who is going to be the provider? ATT or Verizon?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This is friggin' ridiculous. A guy living in the middle of nowhere MN is getting fiber and I never will. :mad:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you have a RUP (rural upgrade program) going on.

It makes sense now adays to go straight fiber to the curb than go and improve copper infrastructure anyways, (copper/dsl is only good 4000-6000 meters depending on wire gauge from the node/hub)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Part of the stimulus package for rural America!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

We've had Verizon FIOS for 3 years now. You'll like everything but the price.

They advertise a $99 package, but by the time you throw in the monthly set box rentals and taxes you're up to $138 a month for basic HD Cable, Intenet and phone.

Don't get me started on my $283 a month Verizon One-bill.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Why do I see Bubba playing online poker and winning more ebay auctions that before the fiber:D

Put up a WiMax tower and provide broadband for your entire county. It will pay for itself;)

waterinthefuel

Commander

Unfortunately, the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Since 95% of websites and downloads will not support 30mbps much less 50mbps, you probably won't see much of an increase if you are currently getting 10mbps.

We used to get 26 mbps to the computer I'm on right now using standard cable. Now it's down to 12. The only way I know is by using speedtest. Downloads take the same as they always did with most sites only providing me with 3-5mbps anyway.

But fiber is nice.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The speedtest sites are pretty much worthless. ISPs can tell that you are on a speedtest site and give you full bandwidth.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Now the only issue I see is that a telco is a tier 1 provider, this being said, if your power goes out your phone should still work because the central office provides power not you.
So unless you get a UPS from them to run the fiber equipment (FMX), your phone will not work during a power outage.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

It still beats satellite, when it rains or snows....that's why I switched this year.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

One thing that I have been thinking of is the competition to cell companies.
As there is only so much band width out there for cell phone companies to get their hands on the market is tight and the prices around here are still expensive.
what "I THINK" we may see in the next few years is that there will be a WI MAX sort of internet based moble, were if you are a subscriber to X company, you also would be a relay/rx/tx site.

(low wattage, but if every 2nd or 3rd +- house is a site, you do not need much.)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

WiMax is the future even for home use.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

WiMax is the future even for home use.

WIMAX is nice but will "probably" never ever support the amount of bandwidth you can get over single mode fiber cable.
Or in other terms land line is still king, to many little dark-grey (signal) areas with digital radio.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately, the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Since 95% of websites and downloads will not support 30mbps much less 50mbps, you probably won't see much of an increase if you are currently getting 10mbps.

We used to get 26 mbps to the computer I'm on right now using standard cable. Now it's down to 12. The only way I know is by using speedtest. Downloads take the same as they always did with most sites only providing me with 3-5mbps anyway.

But fiber is nice.

Late last night I was getting over 60mpbs , and we have an old copper line. Oh wait, that was mosquito bites per second (mbps).

Yeah, ... lots of us in nowheresville woulds be happy to get anything over 1.5mbps, and a little constancy would be nice.
We pay $75 a month for dsl that runs at less than 1, frequently.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

WIMAX is nice but will "probably" never ever support the amount of bandwidth you can get over single mode fiber cable.
Or in other terms land line is still king, to many little dark-grey (signal) areas with digital radio.
True, but technology is still evolving and, even currently, the bandwidth can average 4Mbps.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Presently, I don't know of a single company making Wimax hardware that is not targeted at commercial use. (Joe Average isn't a buyer.)
I did design work for a cellular base station radio head company. There is a LOT of work going on in the WiMAx area.

bassman284

Commander

Bubba, I hpe yours goes faster than ours. They buried the lines by my place last August and the contractor came by in September to decide how they werre going to bring it inside. Different contractor rep came by in March for another look and that's the last I've heard from them. Also DSL is going from $39 a month to $59 a month.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Our local electric co-op is adding fiber optic lines in a small test area. If that works out, then they will expand throughout their service area.

I just wish that I could HD TV in the house. The local cable company has tried twice to get me a "special deal" but our old interior cable won't handle the signal. We'll have to wait until we remodel and replace the cable lines with the newer stuff.

Anywho, during this last time the tech did get my upload speed up to 38Mbps; download still stuck at 1Mbps (using Speedtest).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The local telco knows there is no way they will sell it at sky high prices. We are a little backwards in that regard in the country, we won't pay more than something is worth. Besides, the owners / managers all live in the area and have to face their customers on a daily basis. It's amazing how that changes everything.

So what are you going to pay for internet, Cable TV and phone all together?