135 BlackMax float adjustment

fou

Recruit
Hi, I'm new here.
I have a 1989 135HP black max with a rebuild power head. The engine flood it slef when it is tilted all the way back (as soon as it start to lean back the idel drops), it makes it verry hard to get the boat to come out of the water. I did readjust the float but probably not enought. Does any one know what are the maximum and minimun hight of the float.
The carbs are all clean and the floats are plastic. I just don't want to starve the engine...
Thanks

Re: 135 BlackMax float adjustment

If the floats are all plastic, meaning no metal tang above the needle, their is no adjustment. Otherwise the float level should be perfectly parrallel to the carb base gasket seating surface held at a 45 degree angle. This is the way I have always adjusted them and have always been in spec when measuring float level.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 135 BlackMax float adjustment

If the floats are all plastic, meaning no metal tang above the needle, their is no adjustment. Otherwise the float level should be perfectly parrallel to the carb base gasket seating surface held at a 45 degree angle. This is the way I have always adjusted them and have always been in spec when measuring float level.

Actually, the float adjustment is, with carb inverted, the top edge of the float furthest away from the needle is to be 1/16" below (extending from) the top of the bowl.

It normally will run a bit rich when fully tucked in. If the transom has problems, or the boat is imbalanced to the point that the engine is tilted to flood, that's another problem.

Another problem you might be having is plugged or submerged exhaust relief ports.

hope it helps
John