Acc1 wiring Q

tekmunki

Seaman Apprentice
If I connect my fishfinder to RED/BLACK (see pic), when flipping on Acc1 on the other side of the panel ;
IMG_20110615_205312.jpg

The fishfinder should get power; correct??? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Attachments

• IMG_20110617_002447.jpg
    IMG_20110617_002447.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 0

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Acc1 wiring Q

Best bet is to ground the fish finder at your fuse block/bus bar, then with a multimeter/test light find where your switched power is on the switch. It looks like those switches are low power and goto relays elsewhere on your boat. Follow the wires to the relays, and tap into your power there. If there is no relay for accy then you'll have to put one in.....your asking for trouble if you start guessing what wire does what.

Personally I have a few items (low power) hooked directly up to my switches....All my switches are individual though....If you put to much stress on the circuit board you could screw up all your switches.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Fish finders draw very little power and the OUT connection would be the proper connection for the +12 volt line. Ground is wherever you find it. Keep in mind the fish finder will need an inline fuse since the wires feeding that unit are much smaller than the switch wiring. It never hurts to verify that the OUT connection is actually +12 volts out and does turn on and off with the swtich. My question however, is why bother with another switch since the locator already has one. Hook its power to the fuse panel and fuse accordingly. There is no reason to have two switches for this unit. If you forget to use the switch on the unit you will likely forget the one on the console as well.

tekmunki

Seaman Apprentice

I figured it out, the "out" worked properly. I'm using the accessory function because I was actually wiring in the cig lighter at the same time on accessory 2. The fish-finder is a temporary one and I plan on putting a nicer gps/fishfinder on their own circuits once I get a permanent one.

I did buy and install an inline fuse, the cheap-o $99 Humminbird didn't have one in the box- which was surprising to me.

This is just a temporary solution until my Garmin 441s gets here. :)