1981 Starcraft Mariner 18 Project

tomats

Seaman Apprentice
This is a re-post had to sign up with a new login, old one quit working.

This is a pic of the mariner the day I picked it up. I got it for $1800, it came with trailer, 90 hp V4 and 6 hp kicker that looked so new, I did a break in cycle on it when I ran it. Boat hull is in great shape, minus the transom - nghtmare. A lot of galvanic corrosion, that from what I can tell is fairly common on these boats. Last guy puts so much goop in there is caused the transom to bow some. I was able to run it once and topped out well at about 35mph, these boats get on plane quick and hardly throw a wake, As far as I could tell only one rivet leaks, easy fix. I have since ripped out the deck, c.c. and transom. I am starting to put it all back together so I'll send more pics of the transformation shortlyStarcraft18.JPG

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1981 Starcraft Mariner 18 Project

Welcome Tomats, there are lots of great Starcraft people on here, and you can find answers to any and all questions you may have. Looks like a real nice project you have.
Glen

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_0267.jpgIMG_0270 (Small).JPGThanks Glen, going need some help with this one! Rob

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_0265 (Small).JPGP2200266.jpgP2200267.jpgIMG_0264 (Small).JPGhere's some of that nasty corrosion

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

April 005 (Small).jpgApril 002 (Small).jpgApril 008 (Small).jpg

Transom cut out of 3/4 inch marine ply. Decided to go with one piece rather than the three that came out. I also used a pattern to take the kicker, I hope it works. its allk sealed with West Epoxy several layers thick. I over drilled all the holes to get a better water tight seal

dozerII

Admiral

That is some serious corrosion you have. On another restoration here, someone took the hull to a welder and had a whole new skin put on the transom. I'm wondering if you could get a piece of aluminum the same thickness as the current transom cut it out identical and using 5200 and riviets secure it to the current skin.
Great idea on the vacuum bag.
Glen

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That transom has seen alot of abuse. Man you even removed the tray..Nice idea you just gave me. I'm about to add sheet metal to my stern because mine is in bad shape too. I plan to add a piece of .085 alum sheet metal to cover most of the transom. I will now remove some of the rivits that hold the tray in and reuse the holes when I rivit the new plate on. Someone here suggested using a street sign but I would never suggest doing anything illegal. The plan is to smear a tube of 3M 5200 in between the sheets. The new wood will have to be installed first because the rivits along the sides will interfere. I'll throw some 5200 in the rivit holes as I go.

I have a 90 Evinrude V4 1990 but haven't herd it run yet. I'd like to see your's.

Where are you? Don't see a location in your header.

Welcome,
Mike

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice boat. I've got the exact same motor on my 18'.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice project, that transom looks bad on the outside, but the inside is not that bad in my opinion, other than all the holes and shade-tree kicker mount.

Good luck to ya and welcome aboard:)

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

April 003 (Small).jpgoops, tried to load this one first

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

P2200292.jpgDSCF7348 (Small).JPGP2200291.jpgDSCF7349 (Small).JPG
That transom has seen alot of abuse. Man you even removed the tray..Nice idea you just gave me. I'm about to add sheet metal to my stern because mine is in bad shape too. I plan to add a piece of .085 alum sheet metal to cover most of the transom. I will now remove some of the rivits that hold the tray in and reuse the holes when I rivit the new plate on. Someone here suggested using a street sign but I would never suggest doing anything illegal. The plan is to smear a tube of 3M 5200 in between the sheets. The new wood will have to be installed first because the rivits along the sides will interfere. I'll throw some 5200 in the rivit holes as I go.

I have a 90 Evinrude V4 1990 but haven't herd it run yet. I'd like to see your's.

Welcome,
Mike

I am near Lake Tahoe, CA but I think the boat came from San Diego, I used a 1/8 inch sheet, its pretty solid now, I ground, sanded, soda blasted, acid treated the corrosion then sprayed it with zinc chromate, I hope that does it! I was going to use 4200 instead of 5200 since its suppose to bond metal-metal better. I plan to use an air riveter with stainless rivets to hold up

Here are some pics of the 90 V4 let me kno if you need more

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

View attachment 98679View attachment 98680View attachment 98681View attachment 98682

Welcome,
Mike

I am near Lake Tahoe, CA but I think the boat came from San Diego, I used a 1/8 inch sheet of 5052, its pretty solid now,there was not much of the z-channel tray left, had a piece of 1/8 5052 bent for that. I ground, sanded, soda blasted, acid treated the corrosion then sprayed it with zinc chromate, I hope that does it! I was going to use 4200 instead of 5200 since its suppose to bond metal-metal better. I plan to use an air riveter with stainless rivets to hold up

Here are some pics of the 90 V4 let me kno if you need more