Water in rod holder bay

tekmunki

Seaman Apprentice
Dead center of the boat, right in front of the console I have about a 3x2' bay opening for sliding in fishing rods / nets / etc, has a nice mount for holding rods in there, etc- I'm sure you're familiar...

Photo of the problem:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/img20110615210030.jpg/

Water doesn't seem to want to drain out of there- I can pump a hose through it and out the back by turning on the bilge pump, but it doesn't seem to 'suck' anything from that bay.

If it overfills, it will drain out, but there is always "some" standing water in there- is this normal operation? I really don't feel good storing my rods where there is 'always' water present, especially salt... I washed the boat today and it was near full.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water in rod holder bay

There has to be a drain somewhere in there and I see some dirt (?) in the bottom of that space. I owuld assume you've looked? If there is a drain would it go right into the bilge? Maybe a new "custom" drain hole at the low point would allow the water to drain.

I've seen both ways- drain into the bilge and also plumbed to a thru-hull like on my boat.

UFM82

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I assume the bilge is dry when this is going on?
The brown water doesn't look very healthy--where is it from?
Looks like the locker IS the bilge--what is aft of the opening--is there a sealed bulkhead (wall)?

tekmunki

Seaman Apprentice

At the bottom of that puddle, aft side- there's what feels to be a 2" pipe leading to the bilge, and yes- I can run the bilge pump until it stops pushing out water and this water remains in the compartment.

I can coil up an entire garden hose into that hole opening, so it's not plugged and it fills up the bilge when I turn the hose on- for some reason this water just doesn't pull... Tonight I noticed 3 hoses are hanging into the 'water area' but none of them actually seem to suck anything out- and they run straight behind the livewell above it and disappear; not really sure what they are there for- I'd imagine at some point it sucked this mystery water out---

The water was there when I bought the boat- probably sat in it for weeks if not months.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the limber holes are blocked......

put the bow way up high and shoot water thru the holes......it will unplug.

tekmunki

Seaman Apprentice

the limber holes are blocked......

put the bow way up high and shoot water thru the holes......it will unplug.

I tried that- but an entire hose will fit through to the bilge- perhaps I'm missing a hole somewhere... btw I found out that the hoses I mentioned above are drains from the rod holders to that compartment to bypass the electrical in the console-