impeller is stuck

pjimpin

Cadet
hello everyone, i have a 1977 55hp evinrude, im having a little problem changing my impeller out, iv got the lower unit off and and everything else off except the impeller and it frozen on the shaft iv sprayed it with pb blaster and im letting it soak but i really dont think thats going to help, is there a special way to take it off, iv tried putting a flat screw driver under it to pry up with but it doesnt budge any advice or tricks would be helpful. thanks

wmconway

Seaman
Re: impeller is stuck

Get the rubber parts off of the bushing then cut it off with a dremel. Spiral up from the bottom clockwise, then spiral up from the bottom counterclockwise, then just pop the pieces off with a small screwdriver. Be careful cutting through the key or into the drive shaft.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Or you can get a piece of pipe, that fits closely around the shaft and gently slide hammer it off.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Or you can cut the rubber part off and apply a little heat to the impeller hub and pry it up with a flat blade screwdriver.

pjimpin

Cadet

thanks for the quick replies! good ideas as always from you guys here at iboats!