1967 6hp kill switch question

OkieNTexas

Cadet
This is my first outboard rebuild and I'm a little lost. I'm rebuilding an old 6 hp Mercury and am stuck on the stop switch wiring. The only wire currently on the switch is the ground side. I'm pretty sure I need to run the second wire to either the primary or secondary windings on the two coils but I want to get some confirmation before I just start running wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks y'all,
Shawn

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1967 6hp kill switch question

I can only tell you about my 1972 9.8. the kill switch supplies ground to the rectifier. When you push the switch the normally closed to ground switch opens and breaks ground to the rectifier and the engine looses spark.

OkieNTexas

Cadet

Kahuna:
I apreciate the response.......I'm not too sure I know what a rectifier is (or if mine even has one)....In my mind, I'm thinking splitting two wires to the terminal block somehow and tying them into the secondary coil to short the plugs......I guess I need to search through my manual and see if I have a rectifier.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Your 6hp has a points style ignition (no rectifier). The kill circuit consists of two wires, one come from the terminal on each set of points. These run to the nylon terminal block on the cylinders. Then there are two wires coming from the switch - one goes to one set of points, the other goes to the other (via the terminal block). To kill the engine, the switch grounds the points through each other, as only one set of points is open at any given time.

OkieNTexas

Cadet

Aaaahhhh...Chine, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out how to ground each circiut individually but really you only have to ground them together. That also makes sens about the terminal block. I have a three post block but only have wires going to two posts. I assume the wire from the switch goes to the third one and I install jumpers to the other two. I'm starting to get a handle on this thing.
Thanks y'all....I never would've figured that one out.
Shawn

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You can't install jumpers to the other two - that would effectively ground them together full time. Are you sure you have the right switch? You need TWO wires coming from the switch. It must be a momentary ON switch so that it kills when you push it, connecting the two circuits into one. You can't connect the two wires from the points outside of the switch.

OkieNTexas

Cadet

Chine, I haven't really got a good look at the backside of the switch yet....I just noticed that the wires were gone......I assumed (probably incorrectly) that there would only be two wires to the switch. One for the ground and one to connect to the two circuits.....Are you saying there are three wires to this switch (one ground and two for the circuits)? I guess I need to search for a new switch, or at least pull this one out of the motor and examine it, huh?

OkieNTexas

Cadet

Chine.....I just went to a Mercury parts website and they had a pic of a replacement switch......Crap, there's a whole harness coming off the backside of that switch. I went ahead and ordered one.....$34 but I'm already into this thing, what's a little more, right? thanks for your help.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Just two wires needed, although some of the switches may have three. Most of those switches have two wires - no ground needed. One wire goes to each set of points and they ground through each other when the switch is closed...

OkieNTexas

Cadet

Now I understand.......yea, a jump wire would just constantly short the thing out, huh? What I need now is a pic of how the wiring looks @ the terminal block....But I can probably figure it out from here.
Thanks for your help,
Shawn