make roof canvas waterproof?

Merc_115

Petty Officer 3rd Class
have canvas enclosure but water will lay in spots and leak through, and suggestions?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: make roof canvas waterproof?

I am having the same probelm with my camper top on my fishing boat and was going to use a bees wax waterproofer on it, it is intended for shoes I think but should work pretty well, they have sprays that you could use but I have never been real impressed with them

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class

go to wally world and in the shoe dept is a big can of water resistant spray cant recall name but has hunting camo pattern on can. i bought suede hunting boots and soaked the heck outta them. long story short is stepped ankle deep in creek to test when hunting and bone dry.. looked like a force field was impressed ! even sprayed it on jackets wind breakers etc repelled rain and didnt get soaked. try that product think was about $5.00 or so for can i also sprayed my truck cloth seats ya know coffee spills etc lolo ok found can name is Herman Survivors Water Proofer $3.78 wally world

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the water is pooling, then nothing will help. You must stop the pooling by using rods, braces or some other means to raise the pooling area.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If the water is pooling, then nothing will help. You must stop the pooling by using rods, braces or some other means to raise the pooling area.

Yep. By canvas enclosure do you mean boat cover, or camping enclosure? If it's your cover you can simply put grommeted holes in it to accomdate push poles and your problem will be solved. If it's a camping enclosure you may have to get creative.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

I use 303 Fabric guard. That is what Sunbrella recommends and it works great but if water pools then nothing will work. I had water pooling in a couple of spot and I picked up a couple of adjustable shower curtain rods from wally world. They have rubber ends to keep them from slipping and you simply extend and twist to lock. No more pooling. Not a bad solution for less than $15 I already had 4 poles that came with the toon but over the years pooling caused the cover to stretch a bit near the rear gate and on each side of the bow.

Merc_115

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yea its the canvas roof, it has all the rods in top, but seems canvas pockets between them when raining and drips inside, wouldve thought being for a boat it wouldve been waterproof

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

303 Fabric Protector is the best thing you can use.

I understand the stuff will work for 3 years on an automobile convertible top.

There's not much you can do about the pooling--other than somehow take the slack out of it with poles, etc.

Merc_115

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yea i put a beercan between middle rail in center to help make that highest point, helped alot, b ut still drips through, lol

93chevy

Cadet

I recently used Thompsons water seal on my canvas pontoon cover. Water beads up and runs off. Cover looks and feels the same as before I sprayed it. Anyone else used this product?