blown up alternator

lea

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys
I have a 86 Bayliner that had a v/p in it that I converted to mercruiser 5.7L . The boat runs fine except that it keeps blowing alternators (3) . The first two were old ones that I had in inventory, so I didn't think much of it, but I watched the voltmeter the last one I put on and it pinned at 16volts for about 15 seconds then the engine quit when it blew the fuse to the ignition.These alternators have positive, a ground, a purple wire and a red wire. I used a mercruiser wiring harness from a doner boat and every thing seemed to hoook up where I expected it to. This boat has a voltmeter in it and not a ampmeter would this have any bearing on this problem
Lea

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
Re: blown up alternator

i would back trace your ground and positive making sure that they get to the battery, sounds like your alternator isnt charging the battey so it blows up. how long did your 3 alternators work? a few minuites or a few days?

lea

Seaman Apprentice

They worked for just seconds

NHGuy

Captain

if you are getting too much voltage perhaps you may have put an unregulated alternator in a regulated spot. Does your Mercruiser harness diagram show a separate voltage regulator or is it internal on the alternator? Did you change over any of the electrics from one alternator to the next? If so check them too.
And to add to the previous post. You ought to check all the wiring and gauges for correctness & compatibility.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The main output wire goes straight to the battery or down to the battery cable connection at the starter right?

lea

Seaman Apprentice

Yes the main positve off the alternator goes to the positive on the starter, as for the colour coding of the wires they seem to be industry standard.
I just wonder if I need a ampmeter instead of a volt meter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I just wonder if I need a ampmeter instead of a volt meter.
You don't.

My bet is one of those lines is a sense line and you are leaving it open some how.

lea

Seaman Apprentice

I'm away from my boat for a few days, I pulled a buch of muscles in the calf of my leg so I can't get around very well right now, but when I am able to get around I am going to take the insulation off the harness and trace the wiring to make sure it is proper.
I know the orange wire goes to the starter and the black is grounded to the body of the alt. Can anyone tell me where the small red and purple go for sure? (The ones coming out of the alternator) Also why do some boats have voltmeters and some have ampmeters?
Thanks
Lea

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

With an amp meter, you had to send the entire alternator output to the gauge and then back to the battery. Too much potential loss and the sizing of the wire would have to be too large with larger alternators. A voltmeter tells you all you need to know if the alternator is functioning properly.