Siezed Hydraulic Arms- Alpha One Gen 1

Jay Gadsby

Cadet
Hello ladies and gents. I blew my engine about 8 months ago, been slowly rebuilding since then. I have had the outdrive off a couple times for repairs and engine pull and such. Today I hooked everything back up, the engine is in, all the electronics work etc. I went to trim down and the outdrive would not move. The motor makes noise, has oil (good oil), no kinks in the lines etc. My father-in-law and I decided it was the hydraulic arms for the outdrive not moving. Well, we were correct. I removed them from the transom and brought them into the little garage of horrors that I call home to get them to hopefully move a bit. With some help from a BFH and some wood we were able to get them to move about 1.5". This is with no pressure in the system. Although, every blow forced more oil out a little splatter at a time. These are more than likely the original arms on the boat, but at this point I am at a loss. I do not have a spanner wrench large enough to take off the end cap on the housing itself. Anyone have any ideas? Ever seen this? Any information would be awesome. Thanks in advance!!

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Siezed Hydraulic Arms- Alpha One Gen 1

Many pistons can be rebuilt. Before you go out and buy new pistons, I suggest you rent a spanner/monkey wrench large enough to remove the caps. You'll need a strong vise and heavy work table to remove them. You might just bring them down to your local auto mechanic to see if he can release them. Once they're off, see what's doing inside. I have a feeling some water got into the cylinders because of leaking seals and the insides are rusted. That would require replacement rather than rebuild. Try and see what happens; you have little to lose. Hy

Pete104

Lieutenant

Most of these unit won't go down if there isn't enough fluid. Most common! If motor labors "up" but kinda whines "down", add 10-30 oil or something close light viscous. It should go down then! Put the BFH away.

Jay Gadsby

Cadet

The fluid level was correct, the fluid was viscous, and not a single line or electrical connection in the system was removed during engine pull or outdrive repair. There has been no leaks what so ever, so that would tell me there is no water in the system. The arms are completely disconnected from the hydraulic system and the boat, and will not move without great force. I am taking them to the shop this morning, maybe we can put it in a press or take it apart.

Jay Gadsby

Cadet

Ok, I hooked the pistons back up without putting the outdrive weight on them, the starboard piston works with the pump, where as the port piston does not move at all. I am gonna try and "unsieze" it and will see what happens from there.

Jay Gadsby

Cadet

Ok, got it working. The one cylinder was stuck, but the other was moving fine. I put them both back on the outdrive and used the pump to break the one free, now it works great. Refilled the fluid, tightened it all down and now tomorrow its time to hit the water for the first time in 8 months. I am excited to say the least! Thanks guys!