nav/anc switch

luellamay

Recruit
when I turn switch to nav. only my nav. lights come on. I understand that my anc. light should also come on. I replaced the switch but it did not change. What should I try next?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: nav/anc switch

Welcome to iboats.

Have you checked the bulb?

Examined the wiring to the anchor light?

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My boat had an all-around light, and an anchor light, and the all-around wiring was broken, and the anchor light was missing, leaving me scratching my head wondering why only the red/green came on with nav, and nothing with anchor, even though the fixture itself checked out fine. food for thought.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

soggy_feet,

Don't know the size of your boat but some FYI.

Ours is a Monterey 302CR. When I go to Nav, the red and green come on, the rear platform light (white) comes on and the light on the arch (white) forward half comes on. When I am in anchor mode, the light on the arch comes on fore and aft. Don't know if that helps but there it is.......:D

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Check the bulb first, since it's the easiest thing to check/replace. If it looks OK, I would start checking the wiring... do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? You can use it to test the light wiring at the switch to see if it is even sending power to the anchor light. If it is sending power to the anchor side of the switch, then the problem must be in the wiring between the switch and light.

What kind of switch did you replace with? A normal on-off-on switch won't work by itself for the nav/anchor lights.

luellamay

Recruit

I replaced the switch with a 3 way which was the original. The bulb works,.I also tried moving the connections to the switch around but that didnt work. Im thinking it could be a wiring issue to the anchor light. thanks for your input.