Incorrect battery connection

tskusa

Recruit
In order to get ready for summer boating, my son incorrectly connected the negative lead to the positive battery post and also the positive lead to the negative battery post. He immediately disconnected the leads after smelling and seeing smoke. I have since replace the battery (the old one was already 8 years old anyway) and now the engine does not turn over with the fully-charged battery. What damage or correction should I be looking for?

2002 Larson LXi 210 w/Volvo Penta 5.0 liter

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Incorrect battery connection

If you saw smoke the most likely cause was a fusable link burning out.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Your alternator is most likely toast as well.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Depending on the ignition system, it could have been damaged too. Also check all fuses in the dash/fuse box. This is a surprisingly common mistake that is often very costly. To prevent this error in the future, get a can of red spray paint and paint the positive terminal on the battery red, and also about 6 or 8" of the positive cable too. That should be sufficient to prevent the same mistake in the future.

I painted my battery posts and now have red and black cables because a few years ago I ALMOST made the same mistake when the little red collar on the battery cable fell off and positive and negative looked the same. Haven't had a problem since.

flippee

Cadet

The fusible link is located at the starter on the same post with the positive cable

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure about a Volvo but Mercs have a 50amp circuit breaker on the engine, when I did the same thing a few years back, thats the only thing that happened, I reset it and years later, no ill effects.