alpha 1 shift shaft seals

jp_texas

Recruit
I have a 97 alpha 1 gen II that is leaking a small amount of drive oil from the shift shaft. After searching this forum and consulting a clymer manual I think it needs new shift shaft seals. How hard is it to replace these seals myself. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but not much experience on boats. Any special tools needed? Any gotchas I need to know about. Maybe an engine hoist to support the weight of the outdrive? <br /><br />Any help would be appreciated.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: alpha 1 shift shaft seals

It,s a little messy but you can split the lower from the upper with the drive still on the boat.Reference then remove the trim tab and underneath you will see another bolt to remove .Shift the unit into forward,disconnect any speedo connections in this area then remove the forward nut near the top of the big anode then the four nut bolt combos and she,s ready to come down.

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

A few more things to note.<br /><br />1. Drain the gearcase oil. Else you'll get oil all over when you drop the drive.<br />2. There is a oil passage from the lower to the upper gear housing and uses a small o-ring p/n 26-45577 for sealing. Don't forget to install that. Seals should not be reused. <br /><br />Don't know about the Gen 2 , but the Gen 1 (its different) bushing assembly is only marginally more than buying the oil seal and o-ring.<br /><br />Gen 2 up to 1995 Bushing Assy 23-815921A 8<br />1996-1997 23-815921A10<br />1998 & on 23-815921A13<br /><br />Good luck.

texomatom

Seaman

Piece of cake JP.<br />Had the exact same problem with my 98 AlphaI GenII drive. Not much more involved than changing the impellar - do that while you have the lower off.<br /><br />Tom