question re: splashwell drain holes at idle

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a 2002 Larson 21 ft bowrdider with an outboard setup and 20" transom. The boat is new to me and after mounting a Merc XR2 V-6, I noticed that when the boat is sitting in the water, the drain holes in the splashwell are 1-2" under the water, allowing a puddle of water to collect in the splashwell until under way. There are no issues of anything being waterlogged as the boat is bone dry and doesn't take on water.

The boat is fairly heavy, but is this normal for the rear of the boat to sit this low in the water? The top of the transom is only 4-5" from the water I would say.

The only variable weight factor is that the fuel tank is located in the rear along the center line and holds 35 gallons.

Just wanted to make sure the drain holes submerged at idle is normal?

Thanks!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: question re: splashwell drain holes at idle

by design they should not be under water but in the short run it won't hurt anything. If the holes' fittings or splashwell leaks, then there is a problem.

I don't suppose there's any way to move the gas tank forward? Do people sit back there to cause this?

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's max HP for the boat (assuming that's for a 2 stroke)?

How much hp are you actually running, and is it a 4 stroke (which typically weigh much more)?

Any chance the foam is wet, or that you have water in the hull?

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

by design they should not be under water but in the short run it won't hurt anything. If the holes' fittings or splashwell leaks, then there is a problem.

I don't suppose there's any way to move the gas tank forward? Do people sit back there to cause this?

So far, I've been the only one to use the boat and started out with 27 gallons in the tank. I haven't seen any traces of water in the foam or otherwise in the front or bilge area. I do have a jackplate with 5" setback that I installed. I'm wondering if that could have an effect? The holes are just under water enough to allow water in to puddle up at the bottom of the splashwell.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's max HP for the boat (assuming that's for a 2 stroke)?

How much hp are you actually running, and is it a 4 stroke (which typically weigh much more)?

Any chance the foam is wet, or that you have water in the hull?

It's rated for 175 HP and did have a Four Stroke on it originally judging by the oil pressure gauge in the dash. I put a 1987 Mercury V-6 150 HP 2 stroke on it, which should be lighter. I will double check and make sure there is no water intrusion, but everything seems dry.