what did i get into

varns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I just got my first boat its a 1975 Tom Boy fiberglass for 300 I think it leaks and has stringer damage is it worth the money restoring I seen another boat with new stringers and floor with 80hp motor for 2000 I was just courious if I can get this boat fixed for less. Also has a few small holes in the hull..

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: not sure what im doing

Welcome to iBoats. .....uhm... you paid someone $300.00 for that ? I sure wish you had found this forum BEFORE you bought that disaster....does it even have an engine and trailer ? Post some pics of it .... I gotta see this boat ....

varns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took me a bit to get them up..so your sayin I made a mistake..gess you live an learn

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Well, thats not so bad afterall... when you said "has some holes in the hull" I was thinking much larger holes..there is a boat restoration forum here that would be of good help to you. Post in that forum with your questions , and get some more pics of the problem areas .

varns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I moved this thread to the resto section.

Well the trailer and trolling motor are probably worth the $300 so you didn't get burned too bad there. For small fishing boats like this aluminum hulls really are the way to go. If the structure on this boat is shot, it can be repaired but it's a big job and would easily cost you more than boat was worth even in good condition.

Post up the complete info on any other boat you're considering and we'll be happy to help. There are some obsolete motors you may want to avoid. For example, the one you asked about with the 80HP? If that's an Evinrude or Johnson than it's most likely an electric shift model which have some crucial no longer available parts. (A newer one would be 85 or 90HP).

varns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what did i get into

Bought my first boat the other day I was wondering what I got into in repairing the old boat

Attachments

• boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0

emoney

Commander
Re: what did i get into

Can't really tell from the closeups, but it looks as if you're getting into a transom repair/replacement

varns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I moved this thread to the resto section.

Well the trailer and trolling motor are probably worth the $300 so you didn't get burned too bad there. For small fishing boats like this aluminum hulls really are the way to go. If the structure on this boat is shot, it can be repaired but it's a big job and would easily cost you more than boat was worth even in good condition.

Post up the complete info on any other boat you're considering and we'll be happy to help. There are some obsolete motors you may want to avoid. For example, the one you asked about with the 80HP? If that's an Evinrude or Johnson than it's most likely an electric shift model which have some crucial no longer available parts. (A newer one would be 85 or 90HP).

The 80 Hp is a Mercury i was thinking about selling the trailer and motor

oops!

Supreme Mariner

no problem.

you are in for a transom repair......but on that boat its a snap.

the other scars on the hull do not appear to be thru hull, so they can be glassed over and re gelled.

you could get away with under 500 in materials quite easily, but you will be spending time on it.
find a motor for that boat......an 80 (i beleive) is wayyy too much for that.
there is a max hp rating on the hull plate....read it.

start reading here on fiberglassing instructions, and gellcoating.
a pro would have that entire boat done in 3 days.

varns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: what did i get into

Well oops you seem to be a master at fiberglassing..this is my first boat I have ever owned and have not slightest clue a pro is probably my alternative