1965 Evinrude Sportfour 60hp Question

decdrummer

Cadet
Ok, so the motor has sat a while, it ran great a few years back, but then I accidentally lost the pivot screw at the bottom of the foot. I'm getting back to work on it this weekend and was wanting a few questions answered before tearing back into her:

Question:
1. When I would give it full throttle, the motor would slip back into neutral every time, I could only idle slowly
a. Is this because the pivot screw is missing, or a forward gear problem?

Any help is much appreciated, DNR paperwork is FINALLY done and I can get the title/registration in a few weeks. I have a manual on the way as well.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Chris

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1965 Evinrude Sportfour 60hp Question

Were you running it in the water with the screw out, didn't it fill the lower unit with water? With the pivot screw missing the shift linkage in the lower unit is out of alignment and will not shift properly. I wouldn't operate it that way, could cause internal damage. Get the screw back in and see how it operates.

decdrummer

Cadet

Thanks for the fast reply! Yes, this was back when I didn't know that that screw was so important! It's at the bottom of the river, and yes it did run for about 20 yards without the screw in and then went to neutral! I'm ordering a manual today for it, so hopefully I can get that screw put back in and it be an easy fix!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Pay a little extra and get the factory manual.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

That's a factory manual, does it match your model number, if so that's the one. Always use your model number to purchase anything for your engine to get the correct parts.

decdrummer

Cadet

Ok, thanks! Yea I see my number on there (60553). I'll be better off once I have the manual

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You bet, all kinds of info in there you, any questions come back and ask.

decdrummer

Cadet

Would anyone happen to know the size and/or part number for the pivot screw? 1965 Sportfour 60HP