new owner of 2000 johnson 70 2 stroke.need some help!

papsskiff

Cadet
Hello all, I recently inherited a 2000 19ft carolina skiff with a 2000 70 johnson 3cyl. Outboard.I know nothing about 2 stroke motors at all so I have a few questions. I put some mickey mouse ears on it and fired it up.it starts with no problem, but smokes worse than I've ever seen any 2 stroke smoke before.a blueish smoke. My questions are, what kind of compression should the cylinders have, what could be causing the smoke, and what kind of oil should I use in it? The boat has a fuel tank and a separate oil tank.

It also breaks up under throttle.not knowing exactly the last time it was run....I sort of attribute that to a combination of old fuel,plugs, and oil..but I'm not 100percent sure.

Oh....and I was told by a neighbor that I should change out the impeller. Any help on where/how to get to it and replace it......and where I can order an impeller from?

Sorry if its a lot of questions, I'm very new to the boating world....as this is my first boat. Thanks in advance for any replies

knipper

Recruit
Re: new owner of 2000 johnson 70 2 stroke.need some help!

Hi there. I'm no mechanic but I have a 1992 Evinrude 70 triple with the separate "VRO" 2 stroke oil tank. When I fired it up this spring with the muffs on it smoked like crazy. I've owned it since Aug 2010 & it never smoked like that. I took it to the shop because it starts real hard every time which was a separate solenoid on the primer problem. However they found the bottom cylinder had broken a piston ring & was hammering on it and blowing all the smoke like you say. They can usually tell by using a stethascope & hear it. I have been told to also get rid of that tank & mix the oil manually however on mine the top 2 cylinders were fine but my mechanic says if it was his (50 years experience) he would disconnect the VRO Pump & continue to use the fuel pump portion of it & cap of the oil injector part of it. Hope that's not what's wrong with yours. We got 15 minutes use out of it this year & are waiting for the rebuild now. The impeller is also being changed out while its there & I'm told its a $25 part & an hour's labour to change it out. I Boats will also sell. They also suggested 50:1 and a semi-synthetic blend of 2 stroke mixing oil. Good luck

papsskiff

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. The smoke looks like a piston ring is bad but I guess I was hoping it was something else haha. I'll have to dig around a big and see how you eliminate the separate oil tank, along with the pros and cons of it from other's experiences.

Anyone else have words of wisdom?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if its been sitting for awhile, but still running good, get it on the water and see how she does. But if your not comfortable doing that, have a friend fallow you out while you do. 1. change spark plug for new. And if your going to cap off VRO system, witch I would do, 50:1 fuel ratio.2. do you have good hot spark?3rd. how is the compression? 100 down to 90psi and you should be ok, any further you might run in to issues. 4th. check timing and adjust if necessary. and finally, if the carb/s haven't been gone through in the last couple of years due to sitting, you might consider overhauling them. Good luck and let us know. Note: change the impeller regardless! thats (SOP).