Bilge plug warning light...

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was looking at another thread that I thought was about this topic and it gave me an idea. What if someone were to design a bilge plug (NPT threaded) with a short rod attached that protrudes into the boat and a waterproof microswitch that it contacts. You could mount a red light or strobe or something on the dash so that whenever the battery is turned on and the plug is out, the lights flash to remind you to put in the plug.

Would anyone buy something like this? I'm pretty sure I could find customers in the Stupid Human Tricks forum, but wondering in general if anyone would find it useful.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bilge plug warning light...

I like the idea, but have a couple of initial comments that may seem negative. To attract builder or users it would have to be really cheap. Liability issues might be interesting to discuss . . .

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

When your light bulb finally fails, or wires corrode, and the thing stops working and some numnuts says he thought the plug was in only because it wasn't flashing and sues you for his 30' pleasure boat thats' now in the bottom of a 100' channel, how will you cover yourself?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

minimal utility. I think few people are looking at the dash board pre-launch, except those who drive off the trailer. And we are so surrounded by warning lights, buzzers and beepers that we tend to disregard them.

My bilge pump switch lights up when the pump is on, even if it comes on "auto" but generally that would be too late.

I think there are simpler reminders.

TBarCYa

The "what if it fails" scenario is actually pretty easy.... The microswitch is NO (normally open) and when closed triggers a NC (normally closed) relay. That way, the default behavior is that the light/buzzer is on and if anything fails, the light comes on. It adds a couple $ to the cost and a small drain on the battery since the circuit is always live, but more or less covers potential failures. The thing it doesn't cover is if the switch gets out of alignment and ends up closed when it shouldn't. As far as making it more useful, for me, the dash would be the best place since I drive off the trailer, but the warning light could be put anywhere.

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tape your plug to your steering wheel or winch handle on the trailer.........just try and forget it then. You may benefit from a high water alarm.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd go for an audible alarm wired to the auto bildge pump. If you forgot to put the plug in you'd get water rising fast and the audible would tell you soon enough (hopefully) for you to get to shallow water or back on the trailer.

red

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The "what if it fails" scenario is actually pretty easy.... The microswitch is NO (normally open) and when closed triggers a NC (normally closed) relay. That way, the default behavior is that the light/buzzer is on and if anything fails, the light comes on. It adds a couple $ to the cost and a small drain on the battery since the circuit is always live, but more or less covers potential failures. The thing it doesn't cover is if the switch gets out of alignment and ends up closed when it shouldn't. As far as making it more useful, for me, the dash would be the best place since I drive off the trailer, but the warning light could be put anywhere.

Your closed switch/slight drain is exactly why I would not have one on any boat I own. It serves a function only for a couple of minutes during one activity, yet puts the system at risk constantly.

TBarCYa

As far as putting the system at risk, a relay is a very low draw device so as long as your battery is good, it wouldn't be an issue. I imagine that the draw from a single relay would take years to drain the typical 12v marine battery BUT it could be wired such that it's only "armed" when the engine is not running. At least it cuts out some of the draw on the battery.

As far as forgetting the plug, I know I'm going to jinx myself when I say this, but I haven't forgotten the plug in more than 10 years so it's less for me than for the people that routinely show up in the Stupid Human Tricks forum. Hell, if I forgot the plug even once with my current boat I'd be looking for some means to never forget it again. I'd rather spend $20 on a device and $100 on a battery than buy a new boat because I did something stupid.

Attaching the plug to the winch handle is the most foolproof idea I've seen so far to prevent forgetting the plug. Keys are always in the ignition, and everything else is always in place when I get to the ramp. All I do is remove the straps, turn on the battery/blower back in and go.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

forgetting the plug once usually is the means to never forget!

And I'm not concerned about the draw when it's working properly, but I know enough from experience with electrical systems on old salt water boats to know the potential risks when it isn't working properly.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

An audible alarm the bilge pumps would be the best...

A light alone is 100% useless. Here is the chain of events that most people go through if they unload without the plug. They back in, and then walk the boat over to the courtesy dock with a bow rope. They tie up, and then go park the vehicle. Not once in that entire sequence do they look at the dash. By the time they get back to the boat, they don't need an idiot light to tell them there is a problem!

TBarCYa

I don't know about you, but I look at my boat while unloading it. She's purdy!