Anybody with experience with Universal 20hp Diesel?

emoney

Commander
Looking to replace me long/lost sailboat with a Newport '27 (C&C) and she has a Universal diesel, 20hp as her iron jib. I know nothing about Universal nor diesel for that matter, but I"d assume a 20hp on a 27'-er is plenty. If there is anyone that has experience, what should I look for when assessing this thing? This isn't my first rodeo so I feel like I'm competent enough to do my own survey (outside of the fact that I'm paying somebody else to go underneath her...for that I'm too lazy). Looks like there's about average access with the cockpit lockers on Port and Starboard allow you to get to the respective sides on the motor and then, of course, the standard "remove the steps" access in the front.

Anyway, I know we don't talk a ton about sailboats and their ilk, but it never hurts to ask.:D

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anybody with experience with Universal 20hp Diesel?

Hey I am just South of you. I am not a huge sailboat guy but I can tell you that is a very common power in a sailboat. How much does that thing draw?? That's pretty skinny water up there.

emoney

Commander
Re: Anybody with experience with Universal 20hp Diesel?

(oops, that took me long enough to respond, didn't it)
Draws just over 4' loaded, same as the last one. And yes, it's definitely skinny water up
here. You absolutely must know the tides and stick to the channel. Luckily, we live on the main channel, otherwise I'd be looking at a different config. Where are you (if you happen upon this thread again:facepalm:)