Advice Wanted for Vintage Boat Restoration Project

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, I've been looking around the resto section of the forums for a while now. I've always been someone who loved to restore various things...Coke machines, old lawn tractors, etc. I've been a boat enthusiast for a while now and I have decided that one of these vintage Starcraft style boats will be my next project...

Question is...What kind of boat do you recommend to look for to do one of these projects. Outside of completely reconstructing a hull, I can handle just about anything. I'm really excited about getting one of these little gems to get out and put around on. I'm thinking one of these would be great for those early morning runs to the marina for breakfast.

Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Advice Wanted for Vintage Boat Restoration Project

Well a Starcraft or similar aluminum hull (Sylan, Smokercraft, Blue Fin, Sea Nymph, etc) are certainly the easiest to restore. Starcraft made center consoles (Mariner), dual console bowriders (SS), cuddys (Islander, Chieftain) and about a zillion models of closed bows (Holiday, Jupiter, Nassau, Jet, etc). What type of hull do you think you'd like?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

And for the Fiberglass Classics you should check out www.FiberGlassics.com. They have a Gallery of all the Old Classics to Peak your Interest in the Glass boats of yesteryear but as EZ points out they ARE quite a bit more labor intensive when it comes to restoration, but they are sometimes quite impressive in their creative designs. Especially some of those in the 50's.

I restored a 93 17' Starcraft. Had to strip out "gut" the entire inside of the boat right down to the skin, replaced motor all electronics and stearing. Took me 9 months of evenings after work and one day each weakend. Replaced the old 90 mariner with a 90 05 Johnson. Boat turned out great. paid 500 for the boat, 500 for a replacement "like new" trailer and 3,500 for the Johnson with 20 hours on it. Required me to learn how to put down fibreglass, do the wiring and all but found plenty of help and advise on internet. I used epoxy resin throughout as it has no oder and could use it in the garage at nights. Good luck, John

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I like the idea of playing with a fiberglass hull...But I need to be realistic and realize that I have another boat that I run a lot so I'm not going to run out of projects to do on it. I'm guessing that an aluminum boat would be best for me. I probably need to go with something that isn't an absolute TON of work right off the top. I am notorious for taking a simple project and as I proceed, make more and more intricate and elaborate. With all that said...I think I'd like an aluminum boat. I've got a lot of experience with Paint, electrical, mechanical but not so much with fiberglass.

I think I want a small closed bow, probably about a 14 footer or so. I want something easily small enough that its very easy to throw behind the pickup and run down to the lake for a little while. Also, Can you ski behind these boats?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

An aluminum Starcraft sounds perfect for you. Nice thing is you can spend as much or as little as want on "restoring" one. Heck, in as little as a weekend you could replace the transom and deck with exterior ply painted with porch paint and it would be plenty safe and probably last a number of years if you kept it covered. Since everything is just screwed/riveted/bolted together, you can always go back and redo/upgrade your work at a later time if you want. For example, I'm not real happy with how my bow deck came out but it won't take much to redo and now I have templates!

As for skiing, you might want to look for a 16'. My Jupiter was rated for 85HP which is what I had on it and you could certainly ski behind that. A skilled skier could probably get up on two skis behind anything with 50HP or greater I'd think. Here's my Jupiter project http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/ there's some videos in there also.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I agree that an aluminum Starcraft is about the easiest boat to restore, especially for a first project.:)

You can absolutely ski behind basically any aluminum boat, as long as the motor is up to the task.

Good luck to ya!

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, your boat is so cool. That's exactly what I want to do a restore on!. Thanks for the pointers. My head is filled with ideas on what to do with one. That is...when I find one!!! I love the colors you chose.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"I've got a lot of experience with Paint, electrical, mechanical"

Your welcome here with or without a boat! BTW....What do you know about stripping paint?

SSs are very popular because there versitile. Big enough for skiing, decent room for 2-4 people but small enough for 1 person to handle. Those are some of the reasons why I like mine.

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks... I think I've been searching a little too broadly. I do like the SS style. Hmm stripping paint...need the right protective gear, gloves, eye protection, long sleeves, respirator. I like the stripping gels. You can put those on places that liquid wouldn't stay. What is the project?

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Click on the link in my signature below. A few of us guys are at the same stage of our restorations and good free advice is always nice.

If it were me I'd start by looking at what's for sale within an acceptable traveling radious. Maybe get a ride on something you might like to get a feel for it. I liked the glass boats I had for the solid ride but I wouldn't want to restore one.
Good luck with your search and we'll see you around the camp fire.

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another good site to look at is tinboats.net. This is for aluminum boats, doesn't matter if their v hulls or flat bottoms. What some of them are doing is just fantastic.