Getting Grease Nipple Off Fitting

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone tell me a graceful way to get a grease gun nipple on the end of a flexible hose to release from a grease fitting? It just seems to me to take an inordinate amount of effort to get the nipple to release. Is there a nipple available that has a release mechanism similar to the one on the end of an air hose where the user just pulls back on a collar to release?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Getting Grease Nipple Off Fitting

heh heh uh he said..................... nevermind, rock it to one side and pull

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mmmmmmm, grease nipples, what, oh sorry, x2 on the rocking and pulling:)

red

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Take it out and replace it with a new one.

oldjeep

Admiral

Take it out and replace it with a new one.

Its the coupler on his gun, not the zerk. And there is nothing wrong with it, they should fit tight - just pull on it.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

.... they should fit tight - just pull on it......

Well, that seems to be the problem. I'm not completely new at using a grease gun. I've used them on airplanes as well as boats. You wanna see some grease fittings? Try servicing all the grease fittings on the landing gear of a Mooney!

Anyway, the genesis of my question comes from pulling the whole darn zerk out of a new hub when trying to get the nipple off.

oldjeep

Admiral

Well, that seems to be the problem. I'm not completely new at using a grease gun. I've used them on airplanes as well as boats. You wanna see some grease fittings? Try servicing all the grease fittings on the landing gear of a Mooney!

Anyway, the genesis of my question comes from pulling the whole darn zerk out of a new hub when trying to get the nipple off.

If thats the case then either the coupler is junk and should be replaced or the hub had some issues with its threads. Never heard of any sort of lever operated release for a grease gun.

BTW, used to fly around in a Mooney Executive 80 many years ago (company owners plane)

Fed

Commander

Loosen the knurled fitting on the end of the grease gun to remove it then tighten it back up after you've put it on the next nipple. That's what it's for.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i had that problem with a cheap grease gun tossed it and the zerk since it never came off again i tried putting a vice on the zerk and yanking but to no aval. bought a better gun and a new zerk no issues.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like the zerk was a pressed in type. No threads.
I would tap the hub hole and install a threaded one instead.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Its the coupler on his gun, not the zerk. And there is nothing wrong with it, they should fit tight - just pull on it.

Grease hunderds of bearings every week. Each time I've come upon a zerk like this we replace them. Problem then goes away. Our company buys grease fittings from FastenAll by the boxes. Been using the same grease gun for 3 years. Have replaced the hose many times because it has become worn out.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Had this trouble with many fittings and greese guns, put in vise use a pry bar to remove if nothing else, but new fittingon greese gun is the easiest.