1955 Johnson Seahorse 5 1/2 Horsepower Model CD-12

neskier

Recruit
Hi,

Approximately, how much is a 1955 Johnson Seahorse 5 1/2 Horsepower Model CD-12 motor worth? It runs well and is in fair aesthetic condition.

Thank you very much :D

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1955 Johnson Seahorse 5 1/2 Horsepower Model CD-12

It depends on the buyer and what the use is going to be for as one from the 50's is getting pretty old. I've sold them for $250 in good shape... Hope this helps.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I have one of those myself. I love the design. If it's in nice condition, I would say about the same as Beek14 just said. I paid $100 for mine with a tank, but mine looks pretty rough and needs restoration bad, but it runs and has a new ignition system in it, so I can't complain. Those are still pretty common motors today and finding parts is not too hard to do..

nwcove

Admiral

its definitely worth it, i picked up a cd 13 (seized but it was for free), the power head is bad, low comp on cyl #2. then picked up a cd 14, not run in years, but good shape with tank. those motors are things of beauty! would love to see picks of your 55!!

long johnson

Cadet

i just found an old johnson sea horse 5 1/2 hp , it was seized up , but i tore it apart and was able to get it free and feels smooth with good compression on both cyl, not getting spark and cant get the fly wheel off, but everything looks in great shape from what i can see threw the slot in the flywheel, the coils dont look old and everything else looks nice too, i think it may be worth fixing up, can anyone help me figure out exactly how to get an accurtate date and modle for this ?? and maybe a tip for the flywheel issue? thanks

nwcove

Admiral

the model is , as you said, cd12, and the year , as you said is 1955. post pics, we all like to see them! how did you try to remove the flywheel? an automotive harmonic balancer puller usually works perfect. just make sure to get the right size bolts for the 3? threaded holes in the flywheel. also make sure to keep the flywheel nut on a few threads so the flywheel doesnt pop off and get damaged. (i removed the flywheel from my dead 1956 cd 13 by using a hardwood block and some gentle tapping around the circumference of the flywheel....some may not like that method, but it worked quite easily.)

long johnson

Cadet

update; i got off the flywheel and all electrical parts looked great rust and crack free nice insulation on coils) , i cleaned up everything and , its getting great spark on both cylinders, i think its going to run great , but unable to test it without a external tank and tri adapter hose , i had my gf try to find the setup at wallmart and kmart yesterday with no luck , im still looking ill update on that asap, the paint on the motor case looked kinda ruff and was chipping so i stripped it and plan to paint it when i find a good match on the green paint,all shaft paint looks nice and green still , and seen some johnson decals on ebay for 12.00 i plan to purchase aswell, and im still needing to find the date and modle # of this motor, i think the last poster got confused because the title of the post was Re: 1955 Johnson Seahorse 5 1/2 Horsepower Model CD-12, from the original poster , i only know its johnson seahorse 5 1/2hp and its green , but i would guess 1957 i would just prefer some confirmation , thanks

long johnson

Cadet

just went outside and was taking a few pics for yall and found the missing tag , it is a cd-12, the boat shop up the road can tell me the year over the phone whith the #s on the tag, so i should know later today , also added a pic or 2 of a champion blue ribbon, all aluminum single cylinder, i think it maybe 4.2hp or something ,unknown year, guessing maybe 1944-48 i saved it from a friends trip to the scrapyard along with this johnson, it was also seized up but i got it free and its very smooth and good compression , it also had no fire but a quick cleaning of the contacts and such got it fireing nicely again, i believe its ready to run aswell but its missing the high speed fuel rich-lean adjustment from the carb bowl,im looking for that aswell any ideas where i can find one would be appreciated, and i have the pics i just dont know how to post them on here yet??? do i use a site like photobucket or something? lol sorry just thought it would be an upload

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Cool, an old Champion Blue Ribbon. I had one of those several years back. Mine was seized like yours, but got it running again. You are correct, it is a 4.2hp and built in those years. I think mine was about a 47 vintage.

Yes, the CD-12 is a 1955 model. CD-10 and CD-11 were built in 54, but were virtually identical. I think the only difference is, the shroud on the CD-12 slipped right off on the front, whereas the earlier ones had two thumb screws securing the front half to the powerhead.
1956 CD-13 was a different design and color.

nwcove

Admiral

you can test it quite easily without a the two line hose, i ran my cd-14 for a few half hour runs in a barrel by disconnecting the pressure line from the engine, connecting a line with primer bulb to the carb (removed both of the end fittings from the single line primer bulb set up) i then set a 2 gallon jug of 16:1 fuel on a step ladder, primed the bulb.....bingo, easy gravity feed for testing! the feed to the carb was a smaller hose, but with odds"n"ends you can make it work quite easily! oh....you will probably have to set something up to catch the fuel /oil that will spit from the pressure line....it got kinda messy, i tied an empty 2 cycle iol jug to mine and caught/returned the fuel to the jug when i was done.

nwcove

Admiral

long johnson, when you reply to the post, click on go advanced....add yer pics. cant wait to see yer motors!

long johnson

Cadet

think i got a few to upload thanks 4 the tips , i can upload more of whatever parts on request, but will definatly add updated pics on the new paint, also the pic of the motor on the ground was not this motor i found that pic online somewhere, to show what it looked like before i stripped off the paint, thanks again, for all usefull info , and also fixed up a 1956 johnson evenrude 3 i been using on my 12ft flat bottom johnboat runs great now just slow... and looks okay enough that i havent tried to strip the paint off, lol if anyone wants to check it out i can try and upload a few pics

Attachments

• DSC03760.jpg
    DSC03760.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03754.jpg
    DSC03754.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03761.jpg
    DSC03761.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03780.jpg
    DSC03780.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01997.jpg
    DSC01997.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral

all pics are appreciated! post back with your progress.

long johnson

Cadet

okay one hose goes to the carb and one into the engine somewhere, so i hook the one that runs to the carb from the gas tank, and the other that runs into the motor is the return? thanks 4 the help on this..

Attachments

• DSC03784.jpg
    DSC03784.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03785.jpg
    DSC03785.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03787.jpg
    DSC03787.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral

to gravity feed your motor, connect a primer bulb line to the line that feeds the carb, i dissconected the other "pressure"line and just let it do its thing......it spit fuel/oil. focus on the line into the carb, make sure it doesnt leak. there is no return...so to speak....the other line is pressure for the old stlye tank, which is not needed if you gravity feed fuel to the engine.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hey nwcove, my old CD looks as good as the one in your avitar. :D

longjohnson: Be careful about laying your motor on the shifter side. It's okay on the solid ground, but in transport, those shifters break to easily and for a 60 year old motor, they aren't cheap anymore. Those old CD's can look like hell and still run good too. LOL

I love the old Champion. It looks just like the one I had. If you're in the Northwest, then it could possibly be mine. LOL

long johnson

Cadet

i picked up some supplies to finish up this paint job , picked up some cheap green $4.00 spray paint , its looks diffrent in diffrent light , but either way im not sure i like it??? thought id upload a few pics and get a few fast opinions , my plan is to use gloss white for the raised lettering on this front plate piece in pics , and on the raised trim along the sides , and , i found a pic of the johnson logo that was on my motor before i stripped it , i may use my adobe cs5 photoshop to make it into a printable stencil i can paint the origional lettering back on instead of just buying the decals off ebay like i stupidly planned to do before, but a couple fast opinions on the paint would be great, and btw the case is 100% ready for paint ,

Attachments

• DSC03793.jpg
    DSC03793.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03790.jpg
    DSC03790.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03789.jpg
    DSC03789.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0

long johnson

Cadet

yeah thanks for the info 1946zep about the shifter , but that was not my motor lol , like i said in tha post i found that pic on the net , i just added it with my pics to show what it looked like b4 i stripped off the paint,, ugh idk why i didnt think to take pics of it first, looked about the same as one in pic, it had nice johnson lettering on both sides but the top looked kinda ruff with chiped and faded paint, i figure anything i could do to it would look better than it did, we will see soon, wish it was the red model from a year or so later, i would of really had fun painting it red instead... and yes i live in se ohio , right beside saltfork state park lake

long johnson

Cadet

i went ahead and painted it with what i had ,i figure if i dont like it ill strip it and start over , but it looks okay for a 5 dollar paintjob i guess , here is a few pics, now lets find out if it runs lol.... then ill do some detail paint on it

Attachments

• DSC03839.jpg
    DSC03839.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03808.jpg
    DSC03808.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03819.jpg
    DSC03819.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03837.jpg
    DSC03837.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0

long johnson

Cadet

okay great it does run, and i cant say im not excited after all the energy i put into it last few days , i dont think i have it adjusted properly, and it seems it may be difficult to do with out proper fuel supply, i have a feeling im gonna have a hard time finding a presure tank for it.. and trying to find another option. so the the line that runs into the carb is obv the fuel in line, and so the tube that runs off the motor is a presure output line???? so going on that i can basically use any stable air tight container to build a pressure tank then right? just run the carb line into the bottom of the tank into the fuel , and run the pressure out line into the to gas container in the air portion of the container to build air pressure?? thanks