Force 125 no power

paul118

Cadet
I'm at a loss fellas..I have an 87 125 that idles great but once under load it has no power (wont even plane off). Over the last two weeks I have rebuilt my fuel pump, changed all the fuel lines as well as the filter, ran the engine from a separate fuel source, did a compression check (all 140), rebuilt my carbs, changed the plugs, did the timing and replaced the trigger. While running I also pulled out the plugs one by one to check the coils and got slight hesitation from top three but when I got to the bottom one the engine completely died. Would that mean the last coil is carrying the load for the engine and I have three bad coils? When I put the boat away last season it ran great. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you -Paul

MemoryMaker

Cadet
Re: Force 125 no power

I'm at a loss fellas..I have an 87 125 that idles great but once under load it has no power (wont even plane off). Over the last two weeks I have rebuilt my fuel pump, changed all the fuel lines as well as the filter, ran the engine from a separate fuel source, did a compression check (all 140), rebuilt my carbs, changed the plugs, did the timing and replaced the trigger. While running I also pulled out the plugs one by one to check the coils and got slight hesitation from top three but when I got to the bottom one the engine completely died. Would that mean the last coil is carrying the load for the engine and I have three bad coils? When I put the boat away last season it ran great. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you -Paul

I am going through a similar problem. Check out my thread, I have have some pretty good advice from people. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=481933

Another guy with a similar problem rebuilt his whole ignitiion system to find that his flame arrestor was stopped up. Not sure if that is your problem but worth pointing out. People always say check/replace the fuel pump diaphgram, they are like $5. One guy said that the rectifier fixed his problems (which is odd but he claims it worked), they are less than $5 at Radio Shack. CDI boxes could be bad. I just replaced mine at $200 each, but I am still having power issues. I am going to run some SeaFoam this weekend to do a de-carb. From what I read, people swear by this stuff. Other people use Quicksilver Power Tune for the de-carb as a shock. I figured its worth a try...Good luck!

forceproblem

Seaman

see my post here... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=486380
I had the exact same scenario. They are the wires that move when the throttle is pushed.. they are under a horizontal strip on the right side of the engine, next to the coils

Be very careful with sea foam and any other de carb. My buddy did a de carb and used sea foam in his tank and didn't put enough gas in with the sea foam it made his motor knock really bad and ran rough until we figured out to dilute the sea foam more. Just thought I would let u know what happened to him

trying to wire a omc cable to chrysler force 125. I am not getting any power to the motor.I am still using relay box from the evinrude motor this may be the problem any thoughts from the experts?

Jiggz

Captain

I am going through a similar problem. Check out my thread, I have have some pretty good advice from people. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=481933

Another guy with a similar problem rebuilt his whole ignitiion system to find that his flame arrestor was stopped up. Not sure if that is your problem but worth pointing out. People always say check/replace the fuel pump diaphgram, they are like $5. One guy said that the rectifier fixed his problems (which is odd but he claims it worked), they are less than $5 at Radio Shack. CDI boxes could be bad. I just replaced mine at $200 each, but I am still having power issues. I am going to run some SeaFoam this weekend to do a de-carb. From what I read, people swear by this stuff. Other people use Quicksilver Power Tune for the de-carb as a shock. I figured its worth a try...Good luck!

I read through your entire thread you linked and surprised after all those efforts you are still on the same dilemma. Personally, I would have done the following (in general sequence).
1. Verify timing is correct 32 degree BTDC
2. Visual check the reeds. This mean removing the carbs and adapters and dismounting the vee-block and physically hold the reeds against a strong light.
3. Dismount flywheel and visually check both trigger and stator wires for cracks and grounding or broken wires
4. Verify sparks in each plug using see through spark tester.
5. Verify throttle valves on both carbs goes horizontal when control handle is in full power position (all the way forward)
6. Idle mixture settings on each carb should be 1 turn out from lightly seated
7. Verify the timing tower moves with the carb throttle valves when control handle is moved

If this does not improve engine performance, check the fuel recovery or re-circulation system make sure the cylinder port cover reed valves and check valves are still working.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Stevieboy,Jigz.the post is over a year old??
You should start your own??