automotive 80w90 gear oil vs marine 80w90 gear oil. is it only $$$$

nwcove

Admiral
why cant automotive gear oil be used, what elixer is added to marine gear oil, and if its that much better, should i use marine oil in my rear end (truck rear end! lol).

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: automotive 80w90 gear oil vs marine 80w90 gear oil. is it only $$$$

You can use automotive 80w90 as long as it meets or exceeds GL-5 specs. If you look at a bottle of marine 90 weight it will say it meets or exceeds GL-5 specs. Unless you have a hydro-electric shift outboard then you must use Type-C.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

There is a difference, but then it's your motor and your money.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The question is who do you believe / trust? How do you know whether or not there is a magic elixer added to the "marine " oil? How do you know there is a difference between brand x and brand z? Unless you go for the premium oils packaged by the major outboard mfrs, as far as I'm concerned it all is just plian ol' car oil in a tube. So, if you want the good stuff with magic potions, go to Mercury or Yamaha or others. Otherwise, go to Wal Mart.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seems to me we have already had this post no to long ago. I'll see if I can find it!

rcollicott

Cadet

Can't say for sure, But my understanding is Car 80w90 can develop pressure in the lower end that could blow out seals. Marine oil I guess Doesn't.

hidef

Lieutenant

Which is why you want a lube that meets or exceeds the GL-5 spec.

nwcove

Admiral

did read the other thread, and thats why i posted this thread, no definitive answer. replies go from one end of the spectrum to the other.....question still unanswered! is 80w90 ok? ( personally, i would use higher end lube for higher end performance applications, but the wal mart stuff /automotive lube is .....and will work for most light duty boaters) still would like to know what the difference is tho......kinda looks like packacking and $$$$$$ .

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cheap insurance, why scrimp?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Supposedly the marine 80-90 had additives to emulsify any water that gets into it. I have no idea whether that's true or not.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Marine gear lube resists foaming when water leaks in. Marine grade oil will keep water in suspension and still lubricate. Traditional automotive grade oils can foam, and will not keep the water in suspension, so the gears can be running in water with no lube.

Marine grade oil is different from auto oil.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Marine gear lube resists foaming when water leaks in. Marine grade oil will keep water in suspension and still lubricate. Traditional automotive grade oils can foam, and will not keep the water in suspension, so the gears can be running in water with no lube.

Marine grade oil is different from auto oil.

I ask again, how do you know that is true? How do you know they put those "special" additives in there? They don't give you a list of ingredients. Read the MSDS sheet and you still won't know. It will say it is "Petrolium Distillates", or something like that. Besides, auto oil has anti-foam properties too.

I used to work for a multi-million dollar corporation doing business worldwide. We manufactured hydraulic systems and specified "special" oil, which of course we sold. A tank truck would come in and fill our tank a couple of times a month, and we added red color and pumped it into bottles. I know for a fact it was Shell AW-32 oil. Special, my hind leg. Oh, it was legal enough. Shell AW-32 was listed as a substitute, in case our oil "is not available".

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I ask again, how do you know that is true? How do you know they put those "special" additives in there? They don't give you a list of ingredients. Read the MSDS sheet and you still won't know. It will say it is "Petrolium Distillates", or something like that. Besides, auto oil has anti-foam properties too.

I used to work for a multi-million dollar corporation doing business worldwide. We manufactured hydraulic systems and specified "special" oil, which of course we sold. A tank truck would come in and fill our tank a couple of times a month, and we added red color and pumped it into bottles. I know for a fact it was Shell AW-32 oil. Special, my hind leg. Oh, it was legal enough. Shell AW-32 was listed as a substitute, in case our oil "is not available".

Ever drain marine gear lube from a leaking gear case? Ever drain the rear fluid from a 4x4 that had water in the differential? Not all manufacturers are as dishonest as the company you worked for.

Go ahead, buy the auto gear lube if it makes you happy and supports your notion that specialty products like marine grade products are snake oil.

http://bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=1891729&sectionid=308

levi_tsk

Ensign

as in you ran out of your weeks supply of red dye frank?lol

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Mark, I hate to admit it but I run automotive gear oil in all of my motors. I hate to admit it because I spend all these hours on iboats fixing other peoples stuff, and all 4 of my gearcases leak and I'm too lazy to fix them. I don't go out that much anymore, and I just change the oil when I get in. I see no difference in the separation or color of the auto gear oil or the marine oil that I have used. But I will say that I don't let it set for too long.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I also posted this back in may i think. Got the same ol answers. I got the cheap ol Penzoil marine. My old motor i sold leaked so bad id just change it every few times i was out, sometimes after a day or so id let the water on the bottom out and top back off.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is a question that is going to make as much sense as this post! Does the world revolve on it's axis faster where you live than me?

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The whole 'marine doesn't foam' thing doesn't apply to a GL-5 rated oil (GL-5 is also non-foaming.) Check it out on the wikepedia, or any site that breaks down the differences in the GL ratings.

As far as water/oil separation. They say that the marine oils do not allow that water and oil to mix, but at the same time, when I've had leaky lower-ends in the past, my GL-5 automotive 80/90 didn't allow it to mix either! Water would always drain first when I cracked the screw; it was never mixed in.

So anyway, who knows. They have NEVER released proof that their claims of marine lower-end oil containing these special properties are true. The local boat shops here also use Automotive GL-5, and I have for years as well. I stick to the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' rule. They say "cheap insurance" - but marine oil ain't cheap, and I don't believe in the benefits of it at all, so I'm not even considering it 'insurance.' To me, cracking the drain screw every few outings is much better (and free) insurance. I mean, if you're staying on top of your lower-end (no leaks), then you've ruled out the single only valid 'plus' of marine oil (assuming you trust their claims) - the extra protection should water get in.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Long before the internet and all this information about emulsifiers in gear oil... I used to run 80W90 auto gear lube in my old Johnson 25hp. I never had a problem. These days I've switched over to marine lube.

However, I do occasionally top off the axles in our old Jeep with marine 80W90 these days. I've heard it's good if you ever need to drive across a river (like that will ever happen).