1958 sea horse 5.5 gear box problem

Headlight48

Cadet
First I am no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure I can fix it if if I can get it diagnosed. Motor runs great. smooth and pretty quiet. Reverse works great also. Forward slips out of gear after about 2 seconds. It doesn't slip back into neutral it just pops out of gear. It also feels like there are two speeds to shift into but I know there isn't. After I get the lower end off and apart what should I be looking for? Any ideas, opinions or knowledge is appreciated. Thanks

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1958 sea horse 5.5 gear box problem

Does it happen at slow or idle speeds? Or is it when it's wound up going fast? It may indeed be rounded ears as Daviet said, when on the boat it kind of feels as if you are hitting a stump if it's bad.

Headlight48

Cadet

It happens at any and all speeds and does kind of jump when its on the boat a little

Last edited:

Headlight48

Cadet

Daveit I took it apart after looking at the diagram shown from the link you left me and discovered that the cradle for the shift dog was broken in half. Ordered a new on and am just waiting for the part. Thanks, your communication inspired me to go for it and I think every thing is going to be good. really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Great, glad you found your problem, make sure and update your post and let us know how it turned out.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You might want to check your upper shift rod and make sure that there is no slop in it. Just take hold of it, with a pair of long nose pliers and see if there is any up and down play. Usually, sloppy shift linkage and bad clutch dog problems go hand in hand with each other. One or the other starts the problem.

Headlight48

Cadet

I'll definatley check that out. Seems like you gave me good advice on the motor itself last year when I started on this thing.

loosecounty

Cadet

I have been in a LOT of these old omc lower units and have seen them be pretty worn (clutchdog / innner gear mating surfaces) and still work. Make sure your shift lever is adjusted properly. By that I mean ; make sure your shift rod is pulled up tight with no slack yet the peg on the shifter isnt totaly to the end of travel in its notch, then tighten it down. that way the preasure of the shifter lock against the shifter lever is gently forcing it into forward even after its "there". That said, I do understand the 5.5 is a bit diferent and honestly ,thats one engine I have never worked on.If its anything like a 10,18,25,30,33,35 what I wrote above applies.

Headlight48

Cadet

OK!!! Thanks for all the responses. I learned something from every one. Finally got the replacment cradle for the shift dog. Re-assembled it and it all works great on the water now. Thanks again to everyone who looked and or responded. Headlight