looking at buying an 85 4 winns, any comon issues with these boats?

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ive done a little searching around and it seems these are pretty good boats. Im looking at a 1984 17 foot 4 winns marquise. Its got a 140 horse mercruiser motor, with a trailer for $800. I havent seen it yet but the lady selling it says its in good shape, but thinks theres a soft spot somewhere on the floor that needs to be fixed. I guess they had it out 2 or 3 years ago and thats the last time it was run so she doesnt know if itll start up. The price is pretty good so im very interested, anyone have any tips on things to check?

thanks

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: looking at buying an 85 4 winns, any comon issues with these boats?

It is an 84 or 85 17ft with a 3.0L that has soft floors, - what you should check is everything. Brand at this point is not relevant

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry i screwed up the title its an 84

Tolyn

Seaman

Greetings!

Examine the deck carefully for soft spots. A boat that age with a soft spot generally means the underlying structure is shot as well (see my project link for the kinds of fun you could be in for). It's up to you of course but if you are looking at a soft spot and a motor that won't start I'd keep looking.

Respectfully,
-T

ps - feel free to post some pics up here of something you are considering purchasing. Plenty of smart folks (I'm not one of them) here might see something in the pictures that make the boat much more or less valuable!

lcmains1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any boat that you can buy with an engine for $800 will most likely cost an additional $1500++ to get seaworthy. A boat that sits for long periods of time is not a good thing

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well you guys were all correct, i looked at it and it was pretty beat in every aspect. There isnt a soft spot but more like the whole walkway caving in, seats are garbage, i think ill keep looking