Oil Change

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
What type of pump systems does everyone use to change their own oil. I have a Volvo 5.0 GI. I was thinking about putting a tube through the drain hole, attaching a funnel to it and removing the oil drain plug. Are any pump systems that go through the dipstick any good, I dont want to spend $100+ on a 12v pump system. Tips please...

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Oil Change

I tried 3 different pumps that go through the dipstick tube and none of them worked for my 4cyl. All fairly cheap hand operated models. I ended up just using a couple black trash bags under the oil pan and got it over with.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

What will happen is the hose will not drain fast enough and the funnel will over fill, unless you are using a Big A## funnel.

I have a hand pump system paid $20 bucks for it works ok and it takes alot of pumps to get all the oil out.

I did see at the marine store they had a elect 12 volt pump for $28 bucks.

I know i am going to go that route on my next oil change!

Good Luck!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't stick a tube inside the dipstick tube, you use the tube as the hose to the bottom of the pan. Look where the dipstick tube hooked to.... Bottom of the pan.
It also helps if you run the engine and warm the oil up.
There are all kinds of drain pumps on the market. From hand pumps, to vacuum pumps to all kinds of electric one.

aldena

Cadet

You don't stick a tube inside the dipstick tube, you use the tube as the hose to the bottom of the pan. Look where the dipstick tube hooked to.... Bottom of the pan.
It also helps if you run the engine and warm the oil up.
There are all kinds of drain pumps on the market. From hand pumps, to vacuum pumps to all kinds of electric one.

That's so funny, and so obvious now that you say it. I helped my buddy with the hose inside the dipstick tube, and it took forever. I have the garden hose type end on my dipstick, so I bought a hand pump that threads right on. Works real good. Two years ago, I wanted to verify that all oil had indeed been sucked out. Loosened the drain plug bolt, and found that all the oil had indeed been drained. Tightened it back up, and the damn thing dripped oil all summer long! Had to wait till the next oil change to replace the gasget.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

don, I dont really follow because I have never pumped oil out of anything before. Where exactly does the pump tube go. I was under the impression that you stuck it down the dipstick tube, instead do you attach it to the top of the dipstick or remove the dipstick. Sorry if this seems to be a stupid question. I am pretty handy but I may be loosing at this one...

superbenk

Commander

don, I dont really follow because I have never pumped oil out of anything before. Where exactly does the pump tube go. I was under the impression that you stuck it down the dipstick tube, instead do you attach it to the top of the dipstick or remove the dipstick. Sorry if this seems to be a stupid question. I am pretty handy but I may be loosing at this one...

Most oil pans have a garden hose fitting (male) on either the top of the dip-stick or a separate tube specifically for draining (mine is separate). Some vacuum-based drain pumps or electric pumps will have a hose with a garden hose fitting (female) that you can use to thread the pump hose onto the drain tube fitting and create a good seal. When you build up your vacuum, the oil is sucked up the fixed tube & into the attached tube from the drain pump & into the reservoir on the pump. No need to shove any tubes down that skinny dip-stick tube, just attach a hose to the top of it.

Another nice option is a hose you can attach in place of the fixed drain tube on the oil drain itself that has a valve on the end of it. The hose sits in your bilge during normal use & when you want to change your oil, you feed the hose through the bilge drain hole out the back of the boat & open the valve into a bucket. Like this:

http://www.iboats.com/Oil-Drain-Hos...64650054--**********.740700412--view_id.70825