Solar 'Charger/Maintainer'

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,

Quick, well hopefully quick, question here.

I'm a weekend boater, well maybe even a bi-weekend boater (its been 3 weeks right now though) and this is my first year leaving my boat down at my lake lot on its shore station. We do not have power down there at all, so I'm a little concerned about going out all day and boating, listening to the radio etc. and not being able to charge the battery.

Now, I've done some searching, and I know that they won't fully charge a dead trolling battery, but if I run the boat for 2hrs and listen to the radio (no amps/etc, just a CD Player with 4-6.5" speakers) would a solar charger benefit me when the boat is sitting in the lift with 1-2 weeks time before I'd use it again? Or would it be best to just yank the battery, take it up to the house and trickle charge it then re-install next time I'm up there? Just a PITA to remove it, carry it 450', charge, re-carry, re-install, etc...

Thanks for the input.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Solar 'Charger/Maintainer'

Hey guys,

Quick, well hopefully quick, question here.

I'm a weekend boater, well maybe even a bi-weekend boater (its been 3 weeks right now though) and this is my first year leaving my boat down at my lake lot on its shore station. We do not have power down there at all, so I'm a little concerned about going out all day and boating, listening to the radio etc. and not being able to charge the battery.

Now, I've done some searching, and I know that they won't fully charge a dead trolling battery, but if I run the boat for 2hrs and listen to the radio (no amps/etc, just a CD Player with 4-6.5" speakers) would a solar charger benefit me when the boat is sitting in the lift with 1-2 weeks time before I'd use it again? Or would it be best to just yank the battery, take it up to the house and trickle charge it then re-install next time I'm up there? Just a PITA to remove it, carry it 450', charge, re-carry, re-install, etc...

Thanks for the input.

This is the solar unit I was looking at.

http://www.batteries.com/_R--10023193.html

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As long as it's a decent solar charger it should do what you need.

The one you posted only outputs 60-70ma, over a period of 1-2 weeks should be fine.

My boat lift charges solely off of solar, needs a top up every once in a while with a plug in charger...but you'd be doing that when you ran your boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the radio in your boat has a station memory and clock, that 70 ma charger will barely make up for the power those two constant draws require. 70 ma is .070 amps.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It does not have those unless I leave the master switch for the radio on, which I never do. Its all off.

Any suggestions on different types/ones that would do a better job?

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i heard from some battery tech's 2 years ago that a slow charge will not charge a deep cycle battery, i find this to be confusing as i use a generator camping with a 10 amp charger give it an hour a day and there fine. as long as you leave the master switch off the radio wont drain and the solar pannel will do its job if its not crapy black clouds :(

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input.

I think I might try it and see what happens.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a small 5 watt panel and it seems to do the trick. the radio will use more than it can output, but as long as the motor charges when running should be fine for what you intend

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you click on "find batteries that this will charge" down at the bottom, it looks like this is more suited for lawnmower type batteries, and just to keep them topped off during non use, not when you are running your radio, or other electronics while out on the water.

I am also looking into this, but more for the automatic bilge pump, and to keep it charged while not being used. I do not have access to electricity at the marina that I store my boat at, so if it sits, over the winter for instance, it will have 2 dead batteries when we try to take it out for the first time.

So has anyone found one that works for sure?? I found this one, but dont want to spend $150 on a mistake. http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/SCC015.html

jgl1962

Cadet

I have one of those 5 watt about 12" square panels that we got from Sportsmans guide keeping the lift battery topped. It does a good job keeping up even cycling the lift 2-3 times per day sometimes. It will not however bring a battery back up from very low or dead no matter how long (weeks) you give it. FWIW

Last edited:

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That battery minder will probably work well. The $30 one from batteries.com looks useless, it doesnt even give you any specs. The battery minder is 15w/~1A. I Have recharged deep cycle batteries from completely dead to fully charged with a 45w/3A charger.

Just one thing to be aware of is that not all solar chargers are waterproof and can be damaged by rain. I have heard of some people laying a bead of silicone around the edge of the frame to keep water out but you have to be carefull not to block any of the cells. Even covering one cell will exponentially decrease the efficiency of the solar panel.

I say go for it but get a decent system that includes a charge controller.