1959 johnson 50 hp v4

ciscowine

Cadet
my 1959 johnson 50 hp runs good, but on w.o.t it starts to miss any help would be appreciated

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1959 johnson 50 hp v4

Oh cool. A Fat Fifty. :D I have the next model size down from yours, in your year.

Well, that could be a number of things. A spun prop hub, a fuel problem (meaning fuel flow), jumping out of gear, or ignition malfunction. It's best to investigate those four areas and go from there.

Welcome to iBoats:cool:

ciscowine

Cadet

well the prop looks good from what i can see, last year though while i was on the lake the bolt fell off the link on top of the dist. put new bolt on reset all timing marks according to the seloc manual changed out points and condensors also put new coil on. My next thing to do is maybe put a fuel pump and carb kit just hoping if i do it will help.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, it's likely the fuel issue, if the ignition system has been replaced. One thing to do, is unhook the fuel line from the carb and put the end of it in a jar and see how well it pumps while running. One other thing to check too, is how well the fuel flows through the lines and make sure there are no restricions of any kind.

One way to check the prop too, is to draw a line from the center of the hub to the outside, with a magic marker. Check that line after you take it out once and see if the line breaks. Often times a spun hub can be hard to see and that is the best way of checking.

ciscowine

Cadet

Thanks for the info i will definitely try all the things mentioned out, also i have one more question i read in the seloc manual that i can use reed valves from a 75 hp the reason for this was it would help with fuel consumption, Have you heard of doing this?