standard or reverse rotation?

sorry probably covered 100 times, but how can u tell if engine is reverse or standard rotation when engine is out of boat. any visual signs>? would the crank post thread for pulley be left hand thread if reverse rotation? i dont know if i can spin motor, probably froze but not sure. thanks in advance

ljsweeney

Seaman
Re: standard or reverse rotation?

Check the firing order (should be visible on the motor) for your displacement/manufacturer. For example, a GM 8 cyl engine will fire 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 for standard rotation, and 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8 for reverse rotation. I got this info from here: http://www.rapidomarine.com/default.aspx?p=/firing_orders.aspx

You can check that website, find your engine, reference the firing order, and you're done.

Good luck.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

OMC never used reverse rotation engines afaik.

pretty sure they didnt as well, also i dont know why they would put a reverse rotation into a boat with a single engine? i think they only use with double, triple, and quads just my thoery any how.

Bondo

Staff member

sorry probably covered 100 times, but how can u tell if engine is reverse or standard rotation when engine is out of boat. any visual signs>? would the crank post thread for pulley be left hand thread if reverse rotation? i dont know if i can spin motor, probably froze but not sure. thanks in advance

Ayuh,... WHAT motor,..??

oh im sorry. boat is a 1987 powerplay with omc cobra chevy 350 engine...on manifold it says standard firing order. i pulled distributor and its gear is same as my pick up trucks.

Bondo

Staff member

oh im sorry. boat is a 1987 powerplay with omc cobra chevy 350 engine...on manifold it says standard firing order. i pulled distributor and its gear is same as my pick up trucks.

Ayuh,... On a SBC, the cam turns the same way anyways...
The timing chain is replaced with gears, so only the crankshaft turns backwards...