reverse intermittent ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: reverse intermittent ?

ok, what the heck does reverse intermittent mean.?
It means when you put the control into reverse, the drive only goes into reverse sometimes, not all the time

mr.grumpy

Cadet

so how do u get it to into reverse when u need it? im sorry im sounding stupid but this hole ib/ob is all new to me. please dont b to surprized when i come back with more stupid questions.

captmello

Captain

The outdrive should go into reverse every time you shift into it. How is the fluid level in the outdrive?
Without more detail its hard to tell what to check. How about some history on the drivetrain. What have you done to it so far? Did it ever shift correctly??

Don S

so how do u get it to into reverse when u need it? im sorry im sounding stupid but this hole ib/ob is all new to me. please dont b to surprized when i come back with more stupid questions.

What you really need to do is tell us exactly which drive you have and what your problem is, along with what you have checked.

mr.grumpy

Cadet

it is a 270 volvo penta ob and i have no real history to report on it. i do know it sat in drydock for 3yrs and in my car port till 2 weeks ago. i did find other probs with motor but one thing at a time.
ty for ur replys and help.

Don S

Remove the back cover on the drive, and the prop. While on muffs and at idle shift into reverse. If it doesn't go, turn the shift mechanism by hand and see if it goes any farther, and goes into gear.