Beeping noise - Solid beeeeeeeeepppp sound....

cowan480

Cadet
HISTORY:
1999 200hp Johnson Venum, 19.5ft stratus, very low hours

Prob 15 hrs on her thus far this year..

ISSUE:
So two weekends ago I took the boat out, it made a solid beeeeeeep noise under the dash.. I saw the oil level was at quarter tank... fiiled it up and I did not have any issues for two weeks.

This passed weekend I filled the oil back up to prevent the beeeeeeeping sound again if it was to get low on me...Well I took it out on a full take of oil, road it around for a lil while, took a break, started it up again, floored the gas to get up on plain and it started the solid beeeeep noise again, solid beeeeeeppp sound... I got up on plain the beeeeeemmm stopped... I stopped the boat back down to idol and there is no beeeeem... I floored it to get it back up on plain and I get"BEEEEEEEEPPP" after I get back on plain beeeeep went away...

I have heard its the water pump, I honest know very little about the boat, just how to drive it...

Can you help me get rid of the annoying sound coming from the dash of the boat???
Thanks in advance!!!!

Cowan

PS I used the search and found some info, just need more advice! Thanks again!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Beeping noise - Solid beeeeeeeeepppp sound....

Normally a solid horn is an overheating problem. Is the tell-tale squirting water?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Has this boat got a System Check gauge on it? Did the yellow lite come on? If it was an overheat it would have went into Slow.

cowan480

Cadet

I dont know, I will try it mid this week to see. Just to make sure this is the lil small stream of water that comes out of the out board motor I beleive on the driver side?

Normally a solid horn is an overheating problem. Is the tell-tale squirting water?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yes, that should be the tell-tale.

cowan480

Cadet

if the guage is on the dash I have never seen it. I did not see a yellow light on the dash if that is the location... The boat is running great and did NOT go into SLOW.

Has this boat got a System Check gauge on it? Did the yellow lite come on? If it was an overheat it would have went into Slow.

OMCdinosaur

Recruit

It sounds to me as if you may have a fuel restriction. That is if you are sure of no overheating. The tell-tale water flow can be misleading, and if the starboard head over heats, slow may not be activated. With the on and off buzzer happening check all your fuel lines and anti-siphon valve.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

dito fuel restriction...it is also a solid beep, you get it when you are screaming for fuel, but dont have it when you have planed off some or are not full into throttle...

makes sense....you either have a kink, a clogged filter, line or all the above!!

bob

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Being a 1999 motor, is should have 4 RED lights on the tachometer or on a separate 2" gauge that tell what the problem is when the horn beeeeeeeeps for 10 seconds. It is called System Check.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Being a 1999 motor, is should have 4 RED lights on the tachometer or on a separate 2" gauge that tell what the problem is when the horn beeeeeeeeps for 10 seconds. It is called System Check.

the red light that would light up says CHECK ENGINE......doesnt say fuel restriction......check engine, isnt a very descriptive message!! ha ha ha

the warning horn sound for over heat and fuel restriction is the same....maybe thats why they have seperate lights.....

bob

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

the red light that would light up says CHECK ENGINE......doesnt say fuel restriction......check engine, isnt a very descriptive message!! ha ha ha

the warning horn sound for over heat and fuel restriction is the same....maybe thats why they have seperate lights.....

bob

The warning horn is just that, a 10 second warning to get your attention, and the appropriate light illuminates to tell you the problem area.

Your owners manual explains this.

The CHECK ENGINE light is just like the one in your car, it can mean a number of things, depending on which outboard you have.

On your motor it is a fuel restriction problem as I'll bet it only comes on at higher speeds and turns off as soon as you pull the throttle back. Likely you have a plugged filter or a kinked hose, or trash in the anti-siphon valve or fuel pickup.

If you had mentioned the light in your first post, you would have had your answer right away.

nwcove

Admiral

i had a 1999 johnson 25 with the system check guage, everytime coming off plane quickly, when the backwash would hit the stern, it would make a short beep (not 10 seconds), not go into slow, i thought it was just all the air bubbles in the backwash causing the beep.

96Hydra

Recruit

I had a similar issue which turned out to be the tach itself. Randomly it would light the check engine and sound the beep. There is a round sensor on the left side of the VRO with two brown wires which can be unplugged to test. When I unplugged this I still would get the audible which told me I wasn't having a fuel pressure issue. I also metered this and it never activated. I replaced the tach and no more issues. In the act of trouble shooting I had removed the tank to take out the anti-siphon, replaced the fuel line and driven myself half insane.

cowan480

Cadet

WOW!! Thank you all for the amount to info. At first I didnt know you all would be all over this like you are. I am a member of a cadillac forum and its not near as helpful of this one!!:D THANK YOU!!

I have not had a chance to see if the tell-tale is working or not. I will try and get this looked at this week. As for the dash lights, I'll look at that ASAP too. Seems like I will have to take the boat out on the water if I want to beeeeep again, so I can look at the dash lights...

I did pull the fuel filter out today and it appears to be in good working condition. See the picture below to veiw the filter. There doesnt seem to be a fuel restriction in that area. Again, I AM A ROOKIE!!

Attachments

• fuel filter.jpg
    fuel filter.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0

cowan480

Cadet

WOW!! Thank you all for the amount to info. At first I didnt know you all would be all over this like you are. I am a member of a cadillac forum and its not near as helpful of this one!!:D THANK YOU!!

I have not had a chance to see if the tell-tale is working or not. I will try and get this looked at this week. As for the dash lights, I'll look at that ASAP too. Seems like I will have to take the boat out on the water if I want to beeeeep again, so I can look at the dash lights...

I did pull the fuel filter out today and it appears to be in good working condition. See the picture below to veiw the filter. There doesnt seem to be a fuel restriction in that area. Again, I AM A ROOKIE!!

Here is the dash and I do not see where the 'check engine' signal would be. I am going to start it up this weekend to see if the tell tale is working. Since I am a rookie at all this I might just take it to the shop to hav it worked on, mainly I am just trying to save some $$$$$

Attachments

• 2011-06-17_13-37-34_393.jpg
    2011-06-17_13-37-34_393.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0

w2much

Lieutenant

Good point Hydra. I have had the same issue for years on my 150 HP Evinrude. Engine always ran fine. My alarm came on only at slow idle speed usually in the harbor on my way in or out. Telltale always showing. I recently had the engine serviced by an authorized Evinrude tech.He checked the entire engine .When the boat was returned to me the alarm sounded again. I brought it back to him and he again took the boat out in the harbor. This time the alarm sounded for him. He unhooked the tach and the alarm has not returned. He said it was a rare problem and that he had seen it only once before. He would replace it (the tach)for about $175. or I could do it myself. I found one on eBay for $75.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like you don't have a system
check gauge. Your 4 lights would be
in a separate gauge or in the bottom
of the tack.
It only happens on hard acceleration
at a very high demand for fuel?
I agree with the guys about a fuel
restriction.
Kink in hose, plugged filter,
anti-siphon valve, fuel pickup screen plugged,
bad primer bulb,
When it happens pump the primer bulb
and see if the horn stops or the bulb try's
to stay collapsed.
Follow the fuel line from the tank to
the motor and make sure there's not a
fuel filter hidden under the floor.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Is there a filter cannister inside the boat? Usually the fuel restriction is in the boat's plumbing, not the outboard.

You dash does not show the 4 warning lights that were required for the 1996 and newer motors. Are you sure you have a '99 engine? What is the complete model number that is listed on the serial number tag?

Anyway, if the beep stops as soon as you pull the throttle back, then it's definitely a fuel restriction.

If your boat has 2 gas tanks and a selector valve, that is a very common problem to have the valve only part way open or have trash inside of it.

bynight

Recruit

I have a '96 ev. 200hp with the same problem. a evenrude tech told me when the "check engine" horn and light fire it could be only one of 2 things. Over heating or fuel restriction.he stated, since i'm not overheating it's a fuel restriction and it's somewhere in the tank, from filler hose ,vent or line leading to fuel separator .I also get a back wash when filling tank. I cleared vent hose(spider nest) and installed new gas line from tank to separator. It still beeps! Others suggested its probably a clogged anti siphon valve. I can't locate where or how to get to the darn thing. Anybody know? The boat is a '96 proline 211wa , if that helps.

Thanks
Bob