4.3's best gas mileage

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
My buddy down at the lake told me your best mileage is in gear, at idle cruising along like a canoe. Is that true?

I argued that from what I have read it's the sweet spot up on a plane with the throttle cut back as much as possible. Seems to me that it would be terrible mileage because you don't go straight when (off plane) weaving back and forth at idle because the boat is not built like a canoe or sail boat.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3's best gas mileage

My buddy down at the lake told me your best mileage is in gear, at idle cruising along like a canoe. Is that true?

I argued that from what I have read it's the sweet spot up on a plane with the throttle cut back as much as possible. Seems to me that it would be terrible mileage because you don't go straight when (off plane) weaving back and forth at idle because the boat is not built like a canoe or sail boat.

Ayuh,... Donno,...

With my 4.3l, in my 21' tinboat I can troll ALL day on fumes....

Btw,.... Who says ya gotta run Straight,..??
Rules just say ya gotta Get there...;)

45Auto

Commander

Merc4ever said:
I argued that from what I have read it's the sweet spot up on a plane with the throttle cut back as much as possible.

You're right. Best mileage on a boat will be where the lowest point on the drag curve coincides with the most efficient RPM range of the motor. On most planing hulls, that's just after they come on full plane.

Bondo said:
With my 4.3l, in my 21' tinboat I can troll ALL day on fumes....

Btw,.... Who says ya gotta run Straight,..??
Rules just say ya gotta Get there...

Yeah, is your goal to take as long as possible to get there, or to get there on the least amount of fuel? ;)

Easy enough to look up some tests on Boattest.com. Here's a typical bowrider with a 4.3L:

SR1-1.jpg

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're right. Best mileage on a boat will be where the lowest point on the drag curve coincides with the most efficient RPM range of the motor. On most planing hulls, that's just after they come on full plane.

Ha Ha, Thanks a bunch 45 Auto with your chart it looks like my buddy down at the lake owes me a beer. Idle might be good mileage but not as good as up on a plane and cut back on the throttle!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Depends on the boat and the motor. There was a thread recently that had similar charts with idle being the best MPG. I will try to locate. On my boat with my flow meter/GPS. My best mileage is at around 1000 RPM. My readout is in MPG.

Here is one for an 4 stroke outboard.
248526.jpg

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mine just sips fuel all day long. I re-pitched a prop to 22 degree's and I never get out of recommended RPM range, does 4400- 4600. I have gone 4-6 hours at 30 mph and came back with a half a tank!
Open her up with the 4-barrel and all bets are off!:D