Help! Steering rod stuck in steering tube

Trum008

Cadet
2011-06-13 18.44.24.jpg2011-06-13 18.43.53.jpg2011-06-13 18.44.11.jpg

Hey all, my steering rod is stuck inside the steering tube on my outboard. Looks like the grease has hardened. Just wondering if anyone had some advice as to ho to get it unstuck? I've added some pictures and as you can see I dont have much room to hit the rod because of my transom setup. Also, in trying to get it unstuck i broke the outside of my steering cable from the helm. inside cable still intact but planning on replacing after unseizing the steering rod. And If I cant get the steering rod out what is my next step?

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help! Steering rod stuck in steering tube

Before I go on.....I noticed the steering link is attached to it still? You won't get it out with that link attached. Disconnect it.

Okay, assuming the pics were from before you attempted removal:

If you're going to replace the cable anyway.....unbolt the link arm, take out the grease zerk fitting, spray something like WD40 liberally in there; Wait an hour or two, and periodically tap the housing lightly with a small hammer.....just to get some vibration, which will help the penetrating oil.....then grab the radius of the cable housing firmly with vice grips and slowly work it in a circle while you pull on it.

Last ditch way is to pull the motor so you can actually access the ends better! Yikes...

NYBo

Admiral

Unbolt motor, more it to port as far as it will go (after removing the steering, as Robert D advised).

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

We've all missed the obvious at times...which is why I pointed it out.....and it just looks to me like the steering link is attached and you won't budge anything out of that tube when your trying to force a 400 lb+ engine sideways against it's mounts :) Hopefully it's that simple!

Trum008

Cadet

Hey thanks guys. and i have disconnected the steering link and tried that a few times i just put it on again because i tried haveing a friend put some pressure on the cable while i did it. ill try taking it off again. been spraying penetrating oil in there every couple hours and then wedged a 2x4 between the transom and steering rod to get some more leverage while pounding. ill keep trying. really dont want to take the motor off

Trum008

Cadet

o yea and when the link was off. i could move the engine side to side with my hands with no problem. only an 85 hp

shadow7g

Cadet

I had this same issue. I tried for 2 hours, heating it up, spraying it, wedging it and so on.. What worked for me was, take the steering arm off from the engine and use some vice grips to turn the shaft back and forth. That should do the trick.

mauiboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also It looks like you have a bayliner on My 1988 I had to lift the motor up one notch and rebolt it to the transom that way I could get the cable out completely. it was not that hard What I did was took off the 4 bolts and lifted that tounge up.