Going to Lake Mead- question about boating conditions

kpg1981

Recruit
Hello all,

I contemplated putting this is in the huge Lake Mead thread, but decided to start a new topic so apologies if any mods do not like this :)

We have a trip planned to boat on Lake Mead on Friday & Saturday (17th & 18th staying at the Hacienda and launching from Hemenway), and the weather forecast suggests that there will be 15-20mph sustained winds those days, with gusts from 33-40MPH at times.

I have a 2007 Sea Ray Sport 205 (21ft) and I am doubting it could handle the large waves I have heard Mead can have during windy conditions.

I am contemplating cancelling the trip because I would hate to get out there, just to have a bad time because of poor lake conditions.

Any suggestions? Are these normal conditions for Mead or should I just hold off on going? I was even thinking of just getting out on the water at 8am and be off by 1-2pm.. I have never been there before so I was hoping some Lake Mead 'vets' can chime in and offer me some good pointers, THANKS!!!

Kris

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Going to Lake Mead- question about boating conditions

Rule #1, the weatherman lies... You are a bit far out to get a good "guesstimate" for the weekend, give it a couple of days and see what it says. It could calm down or get worse. Usually, the wind is predominantly from the south and strongest in the afternoon, so your plan sounds good.

I wouldn't scrap the weekend as the local weather looks good 11-17MPH from what I found. 15-20mph winds with 30-40MPH gusts isn't too bad, 30-40MPH sustained winds would be though.

I think your 21'er will be fine, I've had my 18' deep-V out in 4-5' stuff and it handled the waves. If it gets gusty, just stick to the south end of the lake.

kpg1981

Recruit

I appreciate the reply! I think I will give it a shot. Worst case, we just hang out at the Hacienda and blow some money on the slots & blackjack tables :)

When you say to stay at the south end of the lake, this might sound like a dumb question- but this is near the Hemenway launch (Las Vegas Marina), correct? I figure if the conditions get bad I would rather stay close to the marina anyway and just hang out there.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yes, the south end of lake is Hemenway. Calville is the north shore of the Boulder basin, then through the narrows to the Temple and Virgin basins.

If the weather is calling for less than 20mph, I don't worry much about it. Though, Mead can change quickly, and from out of no-where. AND, just because the forecast says the wind is picking up in the afternoon, does not mean it will be the afternoon, could be the morning.... the weatherman lies..

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

you can also go over by the wall (on the right side of the entrance to the canyon where the dam is) where you can still catch some calmer waters in southern windy conditions.
if the basin is just blown out and crappy overall but navigatable with your boat, head up to the narrows and explore that area. a lot of people will be hanging out in Wishing Well Cove so you wont be alone:cool:
if nothing else, you wont lose any money there either lol

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

like the guys above said and would add. even on a still day, the boulder basin gets enough traffic that the cross wake and wakes need to be watched for. no big deal, there can be some large wakes you need to watch for.

we ran for a few years with the 230 and it soaked up anything the boulder and virgin basin through at us. common sense and keep your eyes pealed for color changes in the water you'll be fine.

kpg1981

Recruit

Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like it shouldnt be a problem. I dont really want to go too far out just in case the conditions change real fast- I just want to find somewhere close to the Marina that has some smooth conditions for wakeboarding and tubing, maybe a place to hang out for a while. Looking forward to the trip-- hope no one runs over my little boat haha...

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

we just got back from there last weekend. rented what i believe is a 23 foot toon....we had a blast but i can certainly see where if there are southerly winds that hemenway wall would be the place to be. that being said...the rental company said that the day before we went out, they didn't let anyone out on a rental....but the day we went it was perfect.....sounds like it changes alot day to day. i think on a 21 footer you would have a blast:D

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

we just got back from there last weekend. rented what i believe is a 23 foot toon....we had a blast but i can certainly see where if there are southerly winds that hemenway wall would be the place to be. that being said...the rental company said that the day before we went out, they didn't let anyone out on a rental....but the day we went it was perfect.....sounds like it changes alot day to day. i think on a 21 footer you would have a blast:D

Glad you had a good trip 88 :cool:

Lakemeadan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice boat, you will be fine. There is a lot of boats out there smaller than you. I have a 99 18.5 ft Searay Sport myself. She sits in my garage looking shiny and purty and I'm getting ready to go Nighting on Mead. One of the coves I go to has a Great Blue Heron that nests close to my anchor spot, hope she is still there. I really like the nights out there during the hot season, I'll do a afternoon and mornings and fish some also. And the Weatherman was lieing, latest report is:
17 th, SE wind at 9mph Day, 18th WSW at 12 mph Day around 92*. Nights looks great around 7-8 mph winds 72*. Oh yea getting the feeling.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

That's a nice tool - Thanks

kpg1981

Recruit

Awesome thanks for all the replies! Looks like the weather man did lie. Glad we didnt cancel the trip, looks like it should be nice this weekend!

The windfinder site rocks, thanks! Will update here with how it turned out.